Young's Double Slit - Low intensity

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in writing conclusions for an experiment on Young's double slit experiment with high and low intensity light. It is mentioned that an interference pattern was achieved when firing only one photon at a time, but there is uncertainty in describing this for a photon without a quantum wavefunction."
elevenb

Homework Statement

Having recently completed an experiment on Young's double slit experiment for both high and low intensity light; I am having trouble writing conclusions in the report. In one part of the experiment I know I was firing only one photon at a time down the tube, and I achieved an interference pattern. I know how to describe this if my particle was an electron with a quantum wavefunction approach - however there doesn't seem to be such a wavefunction for a photon. Is this correct?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

n/a

Physics news on Phys.org
mc94 said:
In one part of the experiment I know I was firing only one photon at a time down the tube, and I achieved an interference pattern. I know how to describe this if my particle was an electron with a quantum wavefunction approach -

how you could do it? and how the photon was counted?

1. What is Young's Double Slit experiment?

Young's Double Slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves a light source that is shone through two closely spaced slits onto a screen, creating an interference pattern.

2. What is meant by low intensity in Young's Double Slit experiment?

Low intensity in Young's Double Slit experiment refers to the amount of light used in the experiment. It is typically a small amount of light, which allows for clearer observation of the interference pattern created by the slits.

3. Why is low intensity used in Young's Double Slit experiment?

Low intensity is used in Young's Double Slit experiment to prevent the slits from being saturated with light, which can cause the interference pattern to become distorted. This allows for a more accurate observation of the interference pattern.

4. What is the significance of the interference pattern in Young's Double Slit experiment?

The interference pattern in Young's Double Slit experiment is significant because it demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. The pattern is created by the constructive and destructive interference of light waves passing through the two slits.

5. How does the spacing of the slits affect the interference pattern in Young's Double Slit experiment?

The spacing of the slits affects the interference pattern in Young's Double Slit experiment by changing the distance between the light waves passing through the slits. This can result in a different interference pattern, with wider or narrower bands depending on the slit spacing.