Young's Double Split Experiment

In summary, the wavelength of the light used in the Young's double-slit experiment is 5.28 x 10^-7 m. The problem with finding the angle in the second conversation may be due to using the incorrect path difference for destructive interference.
StudentofPhysics
1. In a Young's double-slit experiment, the seventh dark fringe is located 0.029 m to the side of the central bright finge on a flat screen, which is 1.1 m away from the slits. The separation between the slits is 1.5 x 10^-4 m. What is the wavelength of the light being used?

2. wavelength = d sin(theta)
Tan theta = y/x
y= 0.029m
x= 1.1m
d = 1.5 x 10^-4 m

3. Tan Theta = y/x = 0.029/1.1= 0.0264
Theta = 1.51

Wavelength = d sin (theta) = (1.5 x 10^-4) x 0.0264
Wavelength = 3.95 x 10^-6

This is not correct and I can't seem to place why.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, i see I forgot m, which equals 7.

entering this into the equation:

Sin Theta= 0.0264 = 7 x (Wavelength/(1.5 x 10^-4))

working this through gave me an answer of 2.772 x 10^-5 which was also incorrect...

i see i forgot +1/2 since it is a dark fringe.

working now...

Using 7.5 instead of 7 gave me an answer of 5.28 x 10^-7 which was still incorrect...

I think i am now completely stuck

I think I know what is wrong: you are using m=7.5. The first dark fringe does not occur at the centre, it is 1/2 shifted as the conditions for destructive interference specify. Your first dark fringe (m=0) is 1/2 shifted from the centre maximum, so if you count to the 7th dark fringe it isn't m=7.5. Try drawing it out. I hope this isn't confusing you but I think that might be the problem. Otherwise everything else looks OK.

thank you very much hage. it was 6.5 and I now have it correct.

do you think you could figure what I'm doing wrong on this problem?:

A rock concert is being held in an open field. Two loudspeakers are separated by 6.00 m. As an aid in arranging the seating, a test is conducted in which both speakers vibrate in phase and produce an 80.0 Hz bass tone simultaneously. The speed of sound is 343 m/s. A reference line is marked out in front of the speakers, perpendicular to the midpoint of the line between the speakers. Relative to either side of this reference line, what is the smallest angle that locates the places where destructive interference occurs? People seated in these places would have trouble hearing the 80.0 Hz bass tone.

d= 6.0
v= 343 m/s
f= 80.0Hz
wavelength = 343/80 = 4.2875

0.5 (4.2875) = 2.14375 = destructive interference

I don't know how to figure out the angle without the distance "l".

Any thoughts?

Well, you know what the path difference has to be for destructive interference, and you have the info to calculate it. I would take that value and set it equal to the equation for dark fringes and solve for the angle. See if that helps.

What is Young's Double Split Experiment?

Young's Double Split Experiment is an optical interference experiment that demonstrates the wave nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through a double slit and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

Who conducted the Young's Double Split Experiment?

The experiment was first conducted by English physicist Thomas Young in 1801.

What does the interference pattern in Young's Double Split Experiment look like?

The interference pattern is a series of bright and dark fringes on the screen, known as interference maxima and minima, respectively. The pattern is caused by the overlapping of two coherent light waves from the two slits.

What is the significance of Young's Double Split Experiment?

The experiment provided evidence for the wave nature of light, which was a major contribution to the understanding of light and its properties. It also laid the foundation for the development of the wave-particle duality concept in physics.

How has Young's Double Split Experiment been used in modern science?

The principles of Young's Double Split Experiment have been applied in various areas of science, including quantum mechanics, diffraction grating technology, and holography. It continues to be studied and used in research to further our understanding of light and its behavior.