1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Youngs Modulus and angular speed.

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1
    An amusement park ride consists of airplane-shaped cars attached to steel rods. Each rod has a length of 14.2 m and a cross-sectional area of 7.80 cm^2. Each car plus two people seated in it has a total weight of 1950 N.

When operating, the ride has a maximum angular speed of 7.50 rev/min. How much is the rod stretched then?

This problem does not give an angle or a radius of the circle, so I have two unknowns and cant get an answer.

So far I have

Tcos(theta) = mg

Tsin(theta) =mv^2/r

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2

rsk

Your unknowns are r and theta

Are they related in anyway? (I'm assuming yes - they usually are, but I can't actually picture from your post whether I'm right. )

4. Nov 6, 2006 #3
    r is the radius of the circle created as the masses on the rods swing in a circle.

theta is the angle between the rod and its vertical support (perpendicular to the ground) as the masses swing outward

EDIT: What you said got me to thinking and I got the answer now. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?