1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's Modulus and Hooke's Law

1. Jun 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A wire of length L, Young's modulus Y, and cross-sectional area A is stretched
    elastically by an amount ∆L. The restoring force is given by Hooke's Law as
    k∆L.

b. show that the work done in stretching the wire must be: W = (YA/2L) x (∆L)^2.

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure what work equation I use and how to put it into the equation. I tried
    W = F x ∆L but my answer ended up being W = (∆L)^2 x YA x L

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2010 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The restoring force F is not constant over the stretched distance, it varies linearly from 0 to the maximum value of k(delta L). You can use calculus to calculate the work done, or just use the average force in your work formula. What's the value of k in terms of A, E, and L?

4. Jun 16, 2010 #3
    1)From the Young's Modulus equation: ∆L = (1/Y) (F/A) x L = (1/Y) (k∆L)/A x L

So I isolated for k and get, k = YA/L

2) I then isolated for k from the work equation: W = (k∆L)∆L

...which gave me k = W/(∆L^2)

So when I make the 2 equations equal to eachother, I see that I'm almost there, but where does the "2" in 2L come from? That's all I am missing

5. Jun 16, 2010 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You missed my tip: the work is not k(delta L)^2, because the force , k(delta x), is not constant. Use the average force.

6. Jun 16, 2010 #5
    Hmmmm...I don't know why I can't think what the average force is? Is it F = k∆L/2 ? Stumped

7. Jun 16, 2010 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, if the force varies from 0 as it just starts to stretch, to k(deltaL) when it is stretched to deltaL, then the average force is the (sum of the min force plus maxforce)/2. Or you can use the calculus for the work done, the integral of F(dx), where F=kx.

8. Jun 16, 2010 #7
    Awesome, it all worked out and I got the right answer. Thank you so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook