1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Young's modulus by searle's apparatus

1. Apr 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the point of using the micrometer in determination of young's modulus of a wire using SEARLES APPARATUS ?

2. Relevant equations
    wouldn't the micrometer measure the cross sectional area of the wire....and here we need to measure the extension. I know it is related to spirit level going down when the test wire is loaded..but how????

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2012 #2
    :confused:Shouldn't a vernier caliper be used?

4. Apr 6, 2012 #3
    The diagram is labelled incorrectly.Just as you thought a vernier scale(not caliper) is used to measure the extension and a micrometer to measure the wire diameter.

On second thoughts It seems I have referred here to the original Searles design.Having done a quick search it seems that the apparatus can also come in modified and probably improved designs.The original design still gives accurate results but I suggest you google for the other variations.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  5. Apr 6, 2012 #4
    oh...thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook