Youngs modulus - stress- check please - easyish

In summary, the problem involves finding the compressional stress necessary for two concrete supports to keep a steel beam from expanding when the temperature rises from 23⁰C to 42⁰C. Using the equations stress = F/A and deltaL/L=alpha deltaT, and assuming a coefficient of linear expansion for steel of 11 x 10^-6 K^-1 and a Young's modulus for steel of 210 GN.m^-2, the calculated compressional stress is 0.04389 N/m^2. However, there may be an error in the calculation due to inconsistent units of temperature and an exponent error.
pat666

Homework Statement

A steel beam is used in the road bed of a bridge. The beam is mounted between two concrete supports when the temperature is 23⁰C, with no room for thermal expansion. What compressional stress must the concrete supports apply to each end of the beam, if they are to keep the beam from expanding when the temperature rises to 42⁰C?
Assume: Co-efficient of linear expansion for steel = 11 x 10-6K-1
Young’s modulus for steel = 210GN.m-2

Homework Equations

stress = F/A=Y deltaL/L
deltaL/L=alpha deltaT

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 0.04389N/m^2
the reason i out this up is that the compressional stress i found seem very small?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are your units of temperature (degrees K or degrees C) consistent?

You have an exponent error somewhere. Remember Giga is 10^9. Check you math.

Celsius

rtw69 there is no giga anything in the question, what do you mean? what answer did you get??

Oh sorry, the coef of expansion per degrees K is the same as the coef of expansion per degrees C. As RTW69 noted, don't forget the G (Giga) as in Y = (210)(10)^9 N/m^2

ohhhhhhhh ok i didnt even see that big G sitting there... thanks is your answer apart from the index the same as mine?

pat666 said:
ohhhhhhhh ok i didnt even see that big G sitting there... thanks is your answer apart from the index the same as mine?
Yes.

1. What is Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus, also known as the Modulus of Elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a material. It represents the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) in a material when it is subjected to tensile or compressive forces.

2. How is Young's Modulus calculated?

You can calculate Young's Modulus by dividing the stress by the strain. The stress is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2), while the strain is a unitless quantity.

3. What is the significance of Young's Modulus?

Young's Modulus is an important property of materials, as it provides information about their strength, stiffness, and ability to withstand external forces. It is used in engineering and materials science to compare and select materials for different applications, such as building structures, bridges, and mechanical components.

4. Can Young's Modulus change with temperature?

Yes, Young's Modulus can change with temperature. In most cases, as the temperature increases, the Young's Modulus of a material decreases. This is due to the thermal expansion and the changes in the atomic structure of the material at higher temperatures.

5. How is Young's Modulus used in stress analysis?

In stress analysis, Young's Modulus is used to determine how a material will behave under different types of loading, such as tension, compression, or bending. It helps engineers and scientists predict the amount of deformation a material will experience when subjected to a certain amount of stress, which is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures and machines.