Strain and stress related to young modulus

In summary, a three-legged stool with legs made of aluminium, copper, and steel (with Young's moduli of 7 x 1010 Pa, 11 x 1010 Pa, and 20 x 1010 Pa respectively) will experience the same stress and strain if the load is placed at the exact center. This is due to the fact that all three legs have the same dimensions and therefore the same cross-sectional area. The assumption is made that the extension (or deformation) is the same for all legs. This also means that each leg will carry 1/3 of the load. Therefore, the three legs will experience the same compressive stress.
songoku

Homework Statement

A three-legged stool has one leg of aluminium (E = 7 x 1010 Pa), one copper (E = 11 x 1010 Pa) and one of steel (E = 20 x 1010) Pa. The legs have the same dimensions. If the load on the stool is at the exact center,
a. Which leg is under the greatest stress? Explain why
b. Which leg experience the greatest strain? Explain why

Homework Equations

stress = force / area
strain = extension / original length
young modulus = stress /strain
force = (E.A.extension) / original length

The Attempt at a Solution

a. All the legs have same dimensions means that the area are the same, so the stress is directly proportional to the force. Assuming they all have the same extension, then the force is directly proportional to young modulus. So the steel is under the greatest stress

b. Because all the legs have same extension and original length, the strain experienced is the same for all

Am I correct? I am really not sure, especially about the assumption that the extension is the same for all.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
songoku said:

Homework Statement

A three-legged stool has one leg of aluminium (E = 7 x 1010 Pa), one copper (E = 11 x 1010 Pa) and one of steel (E = 20 x 1010) Pa. The legs have the same dimensions. If the load on the stool is at the exact center,
a. Which leg is under the greatest stress? Explain why
b. Which leg experience the greatest strain? Explain why

Homework Equations

stress = force / area
strain = extension / original length
young modulus = stress /strain
force = (E.A.extension) / original length

The Attempt at a Solution

a. All the legs have same dimensions means that the area are the same, so the stress is directly proportional to the force. Assuming they all have the same extension, then the force is directly proportional to young modulus. So the steel is under the greatest stress

b. Because all the legs have same extension and original length, the strain experienced is the same for all

Am I correct? I am really not sure, especially about the assumption that the extension is the same for all.

Thanks

What fraction of the load is carried by each leg? (This is a statics problem)
How do the stresses in the three legs compare?

Chestermiller said:
What fraction of the load is carried by each leg? (This is a statics problem)
How do the stresses in the three legs compare?

The leg each carries 1/3 of the load. I don't know how to relate that information to answer the question

songoku said:
The leg each carries 1/3 of the load. I don't know how to relate that information to answer the question

If each leg carries the same load (force), and if stress is force per unit area (and the cross sectional areas of the legs are the same), what does this tell you about how the compressive stresses in the legs compare?

Chestermiller said:
If each leg carries the same load (force), and if stress is force per unit area (and the cross sectional areas of the legs are the same), what does this tell you about how the compressive stresses in the legs compare?

Oh I see. So the stress should be the same for all. Because the stress is the same, I can use formula of young modulus to compare the strain.

Thanks for the help

1. What is Young's modulus?

Young's modulus, also known as the modulus of elasticity, is a measure of the stiffness of a material. It represents the ratio of stress to strain for a given material, and is typically expressed in units of pressure.

2. How is Young's modulus calculated?

Young's modulus is calculated by dividing the stress (force per unit area) by the strain (change in length over original length) for a given material. It is typically denoted by the letter E and has units of pressure, such as pascals (Pa) or megapascals (MPa).

3. What is the relationship between strain and stress?

Strain and stress are directly related to each other. As stress is applied to a material, it causes a change in the material's shape or size, which is known as strain. The relationship between the two is quantified by Young's modulus, which remains constant for a given material, regardless of the amount of stress applied.

4. What factors can affect Young's modulus?

The Young's modulus of a material can be affected by various factors, including temperature, strain rate, and microstructure. For example, increasing the temperature of a material can decrease its Young's modulus, while changes in the material's microstructure can affect its overall stiffness.

5. Why is Young's modulus important in material science?

Young's modulus is an important parameter in material science as it provides valuable information about a material's mechanical properties. It can help engineers and scientists determine the suitability of a material for a specific application, as well as predict how a material will behave under different stress conditions.