Favorite Quotes: Share & Discover Your Most Loved Sayings

• Thread starter Zygotic Embryo
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today - but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
"give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day; catch a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life"-unknown
:rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
loool ^ that's a good one

I do not feign hypotheses - "Isaac Newton"

If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants. - "Isaac Newton"

I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies, but not the madness of people. - "Isaac Newton"

and of course some darth sidious quotes.

So be it...Jedi!
If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed.

:)

There are many quotes I like but these are the ones that I remembered tight now.

"A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Reality is subject to interpretation - (source unknown). :rolleyes:

"It's not easy to find happyness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere."

Chronos's signature

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

A fish cannot comprehend the existence of water. He is too deeply immersed in it. - Sir Oliver Lodge

Andy said:
"Frankly my dear i don't give a damn!"

By that guy from that film.

That's my favorite misquote. The real deal is:

Rhett Butler said:
"Frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a damn!"

My favorite quote is:

"Would you like that in installments over 20 years or will you take it as a lump sum."

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it." - Jimmy Dugan, League of Their Own

"Face it lady, we're younger and faster!" - girl in Fried Green Tomatoes (after stealing parking space from Evelyn Couch)
"Face it, I'm older and I have more insurance!" - Evelyn Couch, Fried Green Tomatoes (after ramming the young girl's car repeatedly with her own)

"I heard Tonya Harding is calling herself the Charles Barkley of figure skating. I was going to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized I have no character." - Charles Barkley.

"He who laughs at the misfortune of others understands the meaning of life." - unknown

"The best part of believe is the lie."-Fall Out Boy

Oh, ******* ****** ****** @#%$* %&*#@ @#&^*&!

Me, when I smash a thumb or finger, jam a toe, bang any extremity or face part or otherwise hurt myself in the normal course of everday life.

"The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth knowing, and if nature were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living."

electrons are notoriously promiscuous - Chronos :rofl:

Thanks to Chronos, ZapperZ and other physicists for proving that Physics is fun.

"Gravity is a constant reminder that Earth is our home. Let's keep it nice and tidy." - me :biggrin:

" kill 10,000 its a tragedy, kill 100,000 it's a statistic"- Stalin

Astronuc, that quote of yours is almost witty :)

Sayonara³ said:
here's a final thought:

All creationists are evil and everything they say is a lie.
1000 points for tellin' it like it is. seriously, it's pretty much a rule of thumb these days.(especially on the net)

Zygotic Embryo said:
Astronuc, that quote of yours is almost witty :)
I am sure someone has thought or mentioned it before, but I googled on it (I know that's not reliable) and did not get even one response. So I tossed it out.

I could have said "Gravity is serious" :biggrin:

or "Gravity is a constant reminder of 'what goes up, must come down'." Unless of course, what goes up achieves escape velocity, which then becomes a more cosmological question of whether or not it achieved escape velocity from the Earth or the sun, and then where is it going to go.

For sure - one thing leads to another - INXS, and before that who knows? :biggrin:

Last edited:
"I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them."
--George Bush

Henry Louis Mencken, born on September 12, 1880, was known as The Sage of Baltimore. He was both a leading authority—perhaps the leading authority—on American English, and he was also a penetrating and witty observer of American life.

Mencken defined Puritanism as “the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy," and immorality as "the morality of those who are having a better time.” :biggrin:

Mencken called love “the triumph of imagination over intelligence” and also compared it to war: “…like war; he wrote, [ love is] easy to begin but hard to stop.” :rolleyes:

from "Word for the Wise" sponsored by Merriam-Webster
see http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/wftwarch.pl?091205

Last edited by a moderator:
"'I see', Said the blind man when the dead horse kicked him." - My dad.

Its not my favorite quote, but it's interesting.

"Deflagrate - to cause to deflagrate."
Merrium-Webster Online ary of diction.

"If there were in the world today any latge number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise in a few years." -Bertrand Russell

"It doesn't take a brave man to admit he's wrong, it takes a cowardly man to avoid it."-Ben
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Mahatma Gandhi

"Life is the crumbiest book
I've ever read there isn't a hook
Just alota cheap shots, pictures to shock,
And characters an amatuer would never dream up."
Stranger Than Fiction by Bad Religion

For when I'm feeling cynical. :wink:

"Great thought speak only to the thoughtful mind, but great actions speak to all mankind." Emily P. Bissell

Small people talk about other people
Average people talk about problems
Superior people talk about the possibilities
--- Amway sales pitch --- :biggrin:

Heres a funny one,,

"When I hear anyone talk of Culture, I reach for my revolver." - Hermann Goering

:rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
Small people talk about other people
Average people talk about problems
Superior people talk about the possibilities
--- Amway sales pitch --- :biggrin:
Small minds discuss people
Average minds discuss events
Great minds discuss ideas

"He has a mind like a blotter - he soaks it all in, but gets it all backwards" Don't know who said it.

Robert Fulghum Quotes

"Be aware of wonder. Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some."

"Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you."

"I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge
That myth is more potent than history
That dreams are more powerful than facts
That hope always triumphs over experience
That laughter is the only cure for grief
And I believe that love is stronger than death."

"I've always thought anyone can make money. Making a life worth living, that's the real test."

"If you break your neck, if you have nothing to eat, if your house is on fire, then you got a problem. Everything else is inconvenience."

"Peace is not something you wish for; It's something you make, Something you do, Something you are, And something you give away."

"Play fair. Don't hit people. Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody."

"Sticks and stones will break our bones, but words will break our hearts."

"The examined life is no picnic."

"The world does not need tourists who ride by in a bus clucking their tongues. The world as it is needs those who will love it enough to change it, with what they have, where they are."

:smile:

http://www.folkmusic.com/t_mp3-Lyrics.htm#Chief

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Evil: The details of my life are quite inconsequential.
Therapist (Carrie Fisher): Oh no, please, please, let's hear about your childhood.
Dr Evil: Very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possesses and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian woman named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.
Therapist: You know, we have to stop.

The Crimson Permanent Assurance from the Monty Python movie The Meaning of Life:

Narrator:
In the bleak days of nineteen-eighty-three, as England languished in the doldrums of a ruinous monetarist policy, the good and loyal men of the Permanent Assurance Company-- a once-proud family firm, recently fallen in hard times-- strained under the yoke of their oppressive new corporate management.

Pushed beyond the bounds of decent and reasonable victimisation, the aged retainers take their destiny in their own hands and-- Mutiny!

And so, the Crimson Permanent Assurance was launched upon the high seas of international finance.

There it lay, the prize they sought, the richest jewel in the crown of the I.M.F.: a financial district swollen with multi-nationals, conglomerates, and fat, bloated merchant banks.

Hidden behind the faceless, towering canyons of glass, the world of high finance sat smug and self-satisfied as their future, in the shape of their past, slipped silently through the streets, returning to wreak a terrible revenge.

Adopting, adapting, and improving traditional business practises, the Permanent Assurance puts into motion an audacious and totally unsuspected takeover bid.

And so, heartened by their initial success, the desperate and reasonably violent men of the Permanent Assurance battled on... until, as the sun set slowly in the west, the outstanding return on their bold business venture became apparent: the once-proud financial giants lay in ruins, their assets stripped, their policies in tatters.

Last edited:
"It's not true unless it makes you laugh, but you don't really understand it until it makes you cry." Robert Anton Wilson

"True enlightenment ends with 'in bed', just like fortune cookies." Me :wink:

I can't believe nobody has posted anything by Dorothy Parker yet:

"Ducking for apples - change one letter and it's the story of my life."

"You can drag a whore to culture, but you can't make her think." (When asked to use the word "horticulture" in a sentence.)

"By the time you swear you are his, shivering and sighing, And he vows his passion is infinite and undying - Lady, make a note of this: One of you is lying."

"whoever said 'nothing's impossible' never tried to nail jell-o to a tree"- Lisa Bryant

"Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?"
"Always try to be modest, and be proud of it!"

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing." Albert Einstein

The objective of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other sorry bastard die for his. -Patton-And I absolutely love this one

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." Albert Einstein