1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Z-transform of conjugated sequence ( a straightforward exercise)

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1
    Z-transform of a conjugated sequence ("a straightforward" exercise)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The conjugation property is expressed as [tex]x^*[n] \stackrel{Z}{\leftrightarrow} X^*(z^*)[/tex]
    This property follows in a straightforward maner from the definition of the [itex]z[/itex]-transform, the details of which are left as an exercise.

2. Relevant equations
    Z-transform definition: [tex]X(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty x[n]z^{-n}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Given a complex sequence, its z-transform is [tex]Z\{x[n]\} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty (x_R[n] + jx_I[n]) z^{-n} = X_R(z) + jX_I(z) = X(z)[/tex]

Hence, the z-transform of a conjugated sequence [tex]Z\{x^*[n]\} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty (x_R[n] - jx_I[n]) z^{-n} = X_R(z) - jX_I(z) = X^*(z)[/tex]

Now, how come I didn't get the [itex]z^*[/itex], as in [itex]X^*(z^*)[/itex]? :confused:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2
    Re: Z-transform of conjugated sequence ("a straightforward" exercise)

What am I doing wrong in trying to show [itex]x^*[n] \stackrel{Z}{\leftrightarrow} X^*(z^*)[/itex]?

4. Sep 28, 2012 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fact: x*y = (xy*)* for any complex numbers x and y.

Apply that to X*(z) = Ʃx*(n)z-n.

5. Sep 29, 2012 #4

rude man, thank you for the nudge in the right direction:

[tex]Z\{x^*[n]\} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty x^*[n]z^{-n} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty \left(x[n](z^*)^{-n}\right)^* = \left(\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty x[n](z^*)^{-n}\right)^* = \left(X(z^*)\right)^* = X^*(z^*)[/tex]

Is this correct? If so, what did I do wrong in the first attempt?

6. Sep 29, 2012 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right.

As for what's wrong with your first try: unfortunately I never had to deal with complex signals so I need to bone up on this stuff more myself. Sorry this is the case.

Maybe this will help: Z(Re{x(n)}) = (1/2){X(z) + X*(z*)} and
    Z(Im{x(n)}) = (1/2j){X(z) - X*(z*)}.

So that Z(Re{x(n)} + jZ(Im{x(n)}) = X(z) as required.

Stay tuned, I hope to do more later ...

7. Sep 29, 2012 #6

That's like cat chasing its tail. :) And it also doesn't help shedding light on my 1st, erroneous attempt. Hope you'll find something out; I'll most surely post as well if I find the error.

8. Sep 29, 2012 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Point is, you have written Z(Re{x(n)}) as though it has no complex part, but it does, unless x(n) is itself real. Same goes for Z(Im{x(n)}) where you just stuck a j in front of another z-transformed function as though it too were real.

Thanks for getting back if you do find the error. I would really like to know.

9. Sep 29, 2012 #8

You mean those "R" and "I" indices (as in [itex]X_R[/itex] and [itex]X_I[/itex])? Say [itex]x[n]=\{..., 1-j2, 5+j, ...\}[/itex]. Then, [itex]x_R[n]=\{..., 1, 5, ...\}[/itex], [itex]x_I[n]=\{..., -2, 1, ...\}[/itex], and so [itex]x[n] = x_R[n] + jx_I[n][/itex] ... also, [itex]x^*[n]=\{..., 1+j2, 5-j, ...\}[/itex].

So, [tex]Z\{x[n]\} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty (x_R[n] + jx_I[n]) z^{-n} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty x_R[n] z^{-n} + \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty jx_I[n] z^{-n} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty x_R[n] z^{-n} + j\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty x_I[n] z^{-n} = X_R(z) + jX_I(z) = X(z)[/tex]

Surely this is valid? :)

10. Sep 29, 2012 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apparently not. Andf I don't mind admitting I don't know why it isn't. This math is - pardon the pun - complex.

From what I suggested before:

Z{x*[n]} = Z{Re(x[n])} - jZ{Im(x[n])} which I know you agree with.

= (1/2){X(z) + X*(z*)} - (j/2j){X(z) - X*(z*)} which I got from a table of Z transforms.
    =X*(z*) QED

I'm afraid I've exhausted my reservoir of knowledge in this situation. Again, my apologies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook