1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Z = xy, dz/dx = delta z/ delta x, no idea why

1. Dec 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok this isn't really homework just something I came across and am confused by. I came across a function that looks similar to z = xy and I found that delta_z / delta_x = dz/dx which is really weird to me. This was really strange to me so I checked to see if z = x²y would also be the same and it wasn't which I expected. I don't know how to explain why z = xy has this sort of property where delta_z / delta_x = dz/dx. Sorry if this is a sort of weird question.

2. Relevant equations
    For example let's say z = xy, x = 5, y = 2, z = 10. We increase x to 6 then z = 12.
    delta_z / delta_x = dz/dx = y => delta_z = y*delta_x = 2*1 = 2. No idea why this is true though it should be like a linear approximation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I was thinking it's true in the same way that for y=mx+b, delta_y/delta_x = dy/dx, now I don't know what to call these type of functions.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello jrm, :welcome:

With this function, you can see that if you keep y constant, then z = constant * x, the equation of a straight line.

4. Dec 3, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, what do you mean by "similar to z= xy"? Was the function z= xy or not? Second, since you are talking about "delta z/delta x" and "dz/dt", what happens to y? If you are treating y as a constant, then z is a linear function of x so of course you get that property. And you call those functions "linear" functions!

5. Dec 3, 2015 #4
    Ah so this function is linear? I looked online and it showed linear multivariable functions have the form f(x1,x2,x3,...) = a1x1 + a2x2 + a3x3 + ... So I didn't want to call this type of function linear since it does not have this form. By similar I mean it looks like z = (1+y)(A+Bx). Sorry I made a mistake in my first post. It should have been y = 10, and increases to y = 12, not z. I guess a follow up question would be anything of the form f(x1,x2,x3,...) = x1*x2*x3... would have this behavior if you kept all other variables constant when taking a derivative with respect to one variable and it would be called linear?

Thanks for the responses!

6. Dec 3, 2015 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You found the correct criterion for linearity. That doesn't exclude the possibility that the intersection of the 3D graph of your function with any plane y = constant (or, alternativly, x = constant) is a straight line.
    Note that for functions of more than one variable we use partial derivatives: Function ##\ z = f(x,y)\ ## has partial derivatives ##\ \partial z\over \partial x\ ## and ##\ \partial z\over \partial y\ ##.

##\ \partial z\over \partial x\ ## is a function of x and y obtained by taking the the usual derivative wrt x while keeping y constant. In your ##z = xy## example ##\ {\partial z\over \partial x} = y\ ##.

And in your z = (1+y)(A+Bx) ##\ {\partial z\over \partial x} = B(1+y)\ ##, which still is a straight line -- hence the ##\ {\Delta z\over \Delta x} = {\partial z\over \partial x}\ ##.

--

Picture shows intersections with y = -2 is a straight line. So is intersection with x = 2 -- and any plane with x = constant or y = constant.

upload_2015-12-4_2-1-25.png

7. Dec 3, 2015 #6
    Ah, that clears things up for me. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted