1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Z_2 /<u^4+u+1> isomorphism Z_2 /<u^4+u^3+u^2+u+1>

1. Nov 5, 2008 #1
    Z_2/<u^4+u+1> isomorphism Z_2/<u^4+u^3+u^2+u+1>

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How to figure an isomorphism from
    Z_2/<u^4 + u +1> to Z_2/<u^4 + u^3 + u^2 + u + 1>

What I can now show (after a page and a half of work) is that the two polynomials generating the ideals are irreducible over Z_2.

2. Relevant equations

I've been able to prove that the elements creating the ideas are both irreducible polynomials.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can show proof that the ideals are irreducible, but I don't think we need to reuse that part in remaining solution. Essentially u^4 + u +1 has no linear factors by factor theorem (neither 0 nor 1 root), so only possibility is that it could be factored into 2 irreducible quadratics, and there is only once such quadratic in Z_2. Squared this quadratic and didn't get u^4 + u +1. Thus u^4 + u +1 is irreducible.

Similarly, u^4 + u^3 + u^2 + u + 1 has no linear factors (neither 0 nor 1 is a root), so only possibility is that it's the product of an irreducible quadratic and irreducible cubic. There are only 2 possible such cubics. Multiplying each of these cubics with the irreducible quadratic does not give u^4 + u^3 + u^2 + u + 1. Thus u^4 + u^3 + u^2 + u + 1 irreducible over Z_2. I am guessing this is the easy part of the answer, yet this itself stretched me fully...
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Z_2/<u^4+u+1> isomorphism Z_2/<u^4+u^3+u^2+u+1>

Er, you mean two irreducible quadratics, don't you?

Anyways, don't you know any theorems (or can comptue one) that tell you something about all possible homomorphisms [itex]R[x] / \langle f(x) \rangle \to S[/itex], where R and S are rings?

(If you need a hint, first consider [itex]R[x] \to S[/itex])

Incidentally, a useful syntactic tip is to use different indeterminate variables in your two different rings. I.E. write them as
    Z_2/<u^4 + u +1>

Z_2[v]/<v^4 + v^3 + v^2 + v + 1>.​
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?