ZapperZ's Great Outdoors Photo Contest

  • Thread starter Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
730 replies · 191K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Good seeing conditions this past week- the great globular cluster in Hercules and the Ring nebula:









Each frame was a 25 second exposure, ISO400; the total times are 47 minutes for the cluster and 21 minutes for the ring.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wide-angle view of the milky way:



The bright blob in the upper right is Vega, the bright star roughly center is Deneb, and the fuzzy blob in the lower left is Andromeda:



The majority of aberration is due to use of a non-tracking camera mount; the extreme field of view of the lens (about 100 degrees) amplifies the difference between spherical and cartesian coordinates.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Astronuc said:
Some Strange Things Are Happening To Astronauts Returning To EarthWho would have thought traveling to outer space could be such a profound experience? OK, probably everybody, but these former astronauts really articulate it in a way that was just a little mind-blowing.

http://www.upworthy.com/some-strange-things-are-happening-to-astronauts-returning-to-earth?g=6

Looking down upon earth.

Marvellous clip, thanks a lot for posting it! I've found it on youtube too - I'm downloading and saving that one. :smile:

Andy Resnick, very nice space photos! Great photos from others too in this thread, it's very nice to see!

Gonna go to my photo stash and see if I can contribute to the thread...
 
View from somewhere in the mountains at Les Deux Alpes (an excellent skiing resort, one of the absolutely best I've been too):
11195639065_01d735881a_o.jpg


Mountain detail at Les Deux Alpes:
11195639545_11c9b6ed05_o.jpg


A lonely swan on the Moselle, just outside Trier:
11195638565_ff0d4dcdf7_o.jpg


The incredibly large tidal area around, and viewed from, Mont Saint-Michel (the small dots close to the centre of the image are people):
11195667844_1d2df6734c_o.jpg
 
I believe that I won't be driving to work today. Just a guess but, I think that the roads will be icy.

Dec2013_IceStorm2.jpg


Dec2013_IceStorm.jpg
 
World's most stunning mountaintop hotels

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/world-s-most-stunning-mountaintop-hotels-204007327.html

Some of the world’s most breathtaking resorts are located far from sea level. Nestled in mountain ranges and perched on top of desert cliffs, these hotels offer visitors picturesque views and quiet retreats away from the hustle of everyday life. Here are our picks for the world’s most stunning mountaintop hotels.

. . .
 
Skye

The "Black Cuillin" hills on the Isle of Skye, Scotland, Easter 2013.
 
Attachments
  • js1024_C2_3794.jpg
    js1024_C2_3794.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 564
PeroK said:
The "Black Cuillin" hills on the Isle of Skye, Scotland, Easter 2013.
Nice! A line of my ancestors comes from Skye. Please post more pictures.
 
I took this picture on a nature hike a few days ago. I think it's pretty.
 
Attachments
  • 20131215_154528.jpg
    20131215_154528.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 548
Find a beach.

http://travel.yahoo.com/photos/10-beaches-that-should-be-on-your-bucket-list-1389659035-slideshow/
 
leroyjenkens said:
I took this picture on a nature hike a few days ago. I think it's pretty.

Didn't notice this until now. Very nice!
 
Astronuc said:
Photo Gallery from USGS

January 24, 2014 — Kīlauea
Brief interruption to Kahaualeʻa 2 flow advance; spattering lava pond in Puʻu ʻŌʻō

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/multimedia/?display=default

That's one place I'd like to see in person.

I went there about a year ago, but it was quiet. So we walked across the crater (which was hot in some places) and then around the rim, and even found some of Pele's hair:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pele's_hair

Even though it was calm, it was still worth going to see!
 
This is one thing I like about Kansas:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/855/oj09.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
This is one thing I like about Kansas:

Cables in the sky? You would love it here:

cables_in_the_sky.jpg
 
Borek said:
Cables in the sky? You would love it here:

cables_in_the_sky.jpg

Love them. :approve:
 
dlgoff said:
Love them. :approve:

Vietnam wins the cable wars

http://talkvietnam.com/uploads/2013/09/facebook-stirred-up-by-bill-gates-photo-on-vietnams-electric-pole-1196912-20130910124315-2.jpg
 
Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
Vietnam wins the cable wars
:bugeye:
 
Oh wow, that's beautiful! thanks for sharing Dennis.
 
A prof from the Astronomy department painted a beautiful picture of sun reflection on the earth, and I asked him to send me the original photo. It's just outstanding, I thought I'd share it with you people. Enjoy. :)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/62/oixy.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator: