1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Applied Zee and Georgi Group Theory books

1. Aug 10, 2017 #1
    Hello.
    I will be attending a course on Group theory and the book that the professor suggests is Georgi's Lie Algebras in Particle Physics.
    As I liked Zee's book on General Relativity, I thought that it would be a blast to also use his Group theory textbook for the course.
    Problem is that I don't know if the level of Zee's book matches that of Georgi's(I wouldn't want to solve exercises from Zee that are at a lower level of that of the examination which will be at the same level as Georgi's book).
    Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2017 at 7:00 PM #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Aug 16, 2017 at 2:38 AM #3

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I don't know Zee's book. Georgi's is pretty good. Since Zee's QFT book I'm very prejudiced against Zee's textbooks since it was only proving the fact that a "nutshell" is too small to seriously cover even the basics of QFT.

5. Aug 16, 2017 at 2:53 AM #4
    I think his GR book is much better. That said, Zee stated that his QFT book's purpose is to just provide a gentle introduction to just entice its readers.
    In any way, thanks for your input.

6. Aug 16, 2017 at 3:01 AM #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

But it's not a gentle introduction! It's trying to provide too much in too little space and thus doesn't explain the many subtle points exactly for beginners. It's an amusing read for someone who already knows the subject, but to understand QFT as a beginner you need a bit more accuracy.

7. Aug 16, 2017 at 3:05 AM #6
    It's fun though. You are right, and that's why I preferred using Lancaster and Blundell's QFT for the gifted amateur when I wanted to get a basic idea of what QFT is.
    But then I started using them together and it was really helpful. So, as a supplementary book, it seems good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted