Zener diode characteristics question

• Thread starter ranju
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the solution for determining the state of a zener diode in a given circuit often involves replacing the diode with an open circuit. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of the circuit's behavior. However, in other cases, the diode may be represented as a short circuit. Ultimately, the choice depends on the specific circuit and the desired analysis.
ranju
As I have studied that when the reverse voltage across zener diode is less thsan the zener voltage it is replaced by open circuit..now in the given fig. (input voltage 100V & zener voltage=50V) we are not knowing the voltage across the reverse voltage across the diode..but in its solution it is replaced by open circuit..why so?? what is the logic behind replacing it by open circuit.. it is stated that we first have to detrmine the state of zener diode..
but in other questions the state is not determined..still in the solutions there was no suc step..they solved accordingly..
please explain the concept..

Attachments

• IMG_20140720_110140.jpg
    IMG_20140720_110140.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 485
Engineering news on Phys.org
Imagine you start at an applied voltage of 10V and slowly increase the voltage - the voltage across the zener depends on the two resistors. You will agree that the zener is not conducting for these low applied voltages.

Now consider:
At what applied voltage does the zener begin to conduct?
How did you work that out?

BTW: I don't see the analysis so I cannot comment on what they have done.

In the solution of this ques. they open circuited the zener diode and stated that to determine the state of zener diode..
but why they open circuited it??

If the zener starts short-circuited, what is the voltage across it?
What voltage is required to make the zener conduct?

If you do not follow suggestions I cannot help you.

ranju said:
In the solution of this ques. they open circuited the zener diode and stated that to determine the state of zener diode..
but why they open circuited it??
That has the same effect on the remainder of the circuit as if you were to remove the zener from the picture alltogether. That's how I'd suggest that you approach the problem---first remove the zener from the circuit and work out the voltage that would exist between the two points in the circuit where the zener had been.

Then you can deduce things ...

NascentOxygen said:
first remove the zener from the circuit and work out the voltage that would exist between the two points in the circuit where the zener had been.

Then you can deduce things ...
So does removing the diode means open-circuiting it.. why can't we shortcircuit it n then solve .I am not saying for this particular case but for other circuits..!

ranju said:
So does removing the diode means open-circuiting it.. why can't we shortcircuit it n then solve .I am not saying for this particular case but for other circuits..!
You can do whatever you like. So long as your short-circuit exists only on paper then nothing will be harmed. :wink:

Nowhere in its behaviour does a zener diode act like a DC short-circuit, so representing it as a short-circuit won't get you far. But over part of its characteristic the zener does resemble an open-circuit, so representing it as an open-circuit can help with your analysis and understanding of the circuit's operation.

1. What is a Zener diode?

A Zener diode is a type of diode that is specifically designed to have a very precise breakdown voltage, known as the Zener voltage. This diode is used to regulate voltage in electronic circuits by allowing current to flow in the reverse direction once the Zener voltage is reached.

2. How does a Zener diode work?

A Zener diode works by maintaining a constant voltage across its terminals, even when the current changes. This is achieved through the use of heavily doped p-n junctions, which creates a narrow depletion region that allows for the Zener effect to occur. This effect causes the diode to break down and conduct in the reverse direction once the Zener voltage is reached.

3. What are the main characteristics of a Zener diode?

The main characteristics of a Zener diode include its breakdown voltage, Zener impedance, and maximum current rating. The breakdown voltage is the voltage at which the diode begins to conduct in the reverse direction, and it is typically a very precise value. The Zener impedance is a measure of how the diode's current changes with a change in voltage, and the maximum current rating is the maximum amount of current that the diode can safely handle.

4. What are the applications of Zener diodes?

Zener diodes are commonly used in voltage regulation circuits, such as in power supplies and voltage references. They can also be used in surge protection circuits, as their ability to maintain a constant voltage can help protect other components from voltage spikes. Zener diodes are also used in noise reduction circuits and as a voltage stabilizer in electronic devices.

5. How do I choose the right Zener diode for my circuit?

When selecting a Zener diode for a circuit, it is important to consider the required breakdown voltage, maximum current, and Zener impedance. You should also take into account the power dissipation and temperature coefficients of the diode, as these can affect its performance. Consulting a datasheet for the specific diode you are considering is also recommended to ensure it meets the requirements for your circuit.