1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Zero-force member problem (Statics)

1. Mar 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the zero force members in the following truss

2. Relevant equations

- If only two members meet in an unloaded joint, both are zero-force members.
    - If three members meet in an unloaded joint of which two are in a direct line with one another, then the third member is a zero-force member.

- If two members meet in a loaded joint and the line of action of the load coincides with one of the members, the other member is a zero-force member.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, I got 6 (there are 8 according to the solution) using the above rules:
    HF, HI, OQ, QR, BC, and DE

The solution says that BE and LJ are also zero force members, but I have no clue why...

Any help please?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2013 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not LJ, its IJ, why? If BC is a zero force member, that should tell you something about BE (and DE).

4. Mar 26, 2013 #3
    Ok, I had thought about IJ before but since the solution didn't mention it I didn't count it...

Now, for BE: since BC is a zero-force member, can we "ignore" it and then consider the other 3 with Rule #2?

5. Mar 26, 2013 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

yes.

6. Mar 26, 2013 #5
    Thank you sir ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted