What if Planck Constant is Zero? Effects in Quantum Explored

In summary: So, in this case, the wavefunction would be identically 0. Therefore, I don't see how one can talk about limits in this case.I don't think the OP is talking about a limit. As I read it, the OP is asking what would happen if h assumed the exact value of 0, not what would happen if it tended to 0.In summary, if the Planck constant is zero, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principles will also become zero, allowing for the exact knowledge of either momentum or position of a particle. Furthermore, both momentum and position can be known simultaneously. This would result in all quantum behavior becoming classical behavior, with continuous energy and zero momentum. However, it is important to note
fricke
What is the effect in quantum if Planck constant is zero?

Here are some points that I could think of:
if Planck constant is zero, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principles will become zero, therefore either momentum or position of a particle can be known exactly.

if Planck constant is zero, both momentum and position can be known simultaneously.

if Planck constant is zero, all quantum behavior will become classical behavior, where energy will become continuous, momentum will become zero (which means it is known exactly) and etc.

So, are my points correct? and please do tell if there are other points for "if Planck constant is zero".
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
fricke said:
if Planck constant is zero, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principles will become zero, therefore either momentum or position of a particle can be known exactly.
Either momentum or position can be known exactly even if the Planck constant is not zero.

fricke said:
if Planck constant is zero, both momentum and position can be known simultaneously.

if Planck constant is zero, all quantum behavior will become classical behavior, where energy will become continuous, momentum will become zero (which means it is known exactly) and etc.
Those two statements are correct.

Demystifier said:
Either momentum or position can be known exactly even if the Planck constant is not zero.
Hmm, so, if Planck constant is zero means that there is no uncertainty in both momentum and position, right? Does it mean if either one of momentum or position can be known exactly, therefore the other one is not known exactly?

fricke said:
Hmm, so, if Planck constant is zero means that there is no uncertainty in both momentum and position, right? Does it mean if either one of momentum or position can be known exactly, therefore the other one is not known exactly?
Note the bolded "not" in my sentence that you quoted.

Demystifier said:
Note the bolded "not" in my sentence that you quoted.
Yes, I noted that.
I was asking the understanding of if the Planck constant is zero. :)

fricke said:
If h=0, then both momentum and position can simultaneously be known exactly.

The idea of quantization of most physical quantities breaks down if ##h=0## ; the deBroglie wavelength associated with any particle becomes 0, the canonical commutation relation becomes ##[x,p] = 0## (the commutation of the position and momentum operators removes the "weird" effects in QM, and reduction to classical mechanics follows), and the wave equation of any particle takes the trivial and non-renormalizable solution of ##Ψ (r,t) =0 ## (there is no wave equation for any particle if h=0; this of course agrees with the fact that the deBroglie wavelength becomes 0). From this, you can also derive the fact that the Heisenberg 'uncertainty' vanishes.

PWiz said:
the wave equation of any particle takes the trivial and non-renormalizable solution of Ψ(r,t)=0
That is actually not quite true. If the limit h=0 is applied in the appropriate way, the complex Schrodinger equation reduces to two decoupled real classical equations. One of them is the classical Hamilton-Jacobi equation, which is a wave equation for a classical particle. The other is the continuity equation, which can be interpreted in terms of classical statistical mechanics.

Likes thiagoseniuk
Demystifier said:
If the limit h=0 is applied in the appropriate way
I don't think the OP is talking about a limit. As I read it, the OP is asking what would happen if ##h## assumed the exact value of 0, not what would happen if it tended to 0. If ##h=0## , then the terms ##iħ \frac {∂Ψ}{∂t}## and ##\frac {-ħ^2}{2m} ∇^2## (in the Hamiltonian) will drop out, and in that case, Schrodinger's (time-dependent) wave equation would become ##V Ψ (r,t) = 0## , which can only be true for any potential function if ##Ψ (r,t) = 0 ## for all r and t.

Likes Derek Potter

What is the Planck Constant and why is it important in quantum physics?

The Planck Constant (denoted as h) is a fundamental physical constant that relates a particle's energy to its frequency. It is an essential part of the mathematical equations that describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is also important in determining the uncertainty principle and the quantization of energy in atoms.

What would happen if the Planck Constant was zero?

If the Planck Constant was zero, it would mean that particles would not have a minimum energy level and could theoretically have any energy value. This would lead to the breakdown of many fundamental principles in quantum mechanics, such as the quantization of energy and the wave-particle duality.

Would the zero Planck Constant affect everyday life?

Yes, the zero Planck Constant would have a significant impact on everyday life. The quantization of energy is responsible for many phenomena that we observe in our daily lives, such as the stability of atoms and the behavior of electrons in electronic devices. Without the Planck Constant, these phenomena would not exist, and the world would look very different.

What experiments have been done to test the value of the Planck Constant?

Many experiments have been conducted to determine the value of the Planck Constant, including the famous photoelectric effect experiment by Albert Einstein. In this experiment, the relationship between a photon's energy and its frequency was established, providing evidence for the existence of the Planck Constant. Other experiments, such as the Compton scattering experiment and the black body radiation experiment, have also been used to determine the value of the Planck Constant.

Are there any theories or explanations for a zero Planck Constant?

There are no widely accepted theories or explanations for a zero Planck Constant. Some theories, such as loop quantum gravity, suggest that the Planck Constant may have a different value in different regions of the universe, but there is no evidence to support this idea. Other theories, such as string theory, propose that the Planck Constant is a fundamental part of the fabric of the universe and cannot be altered. Ultimately, a zero Planck Constant would require a complete overhaul of our understanding of quantum mechanics and the universe as we know it.