Zettili QM Problem on Trace of an Operator

In summary, the trace of the operator |\psi><\chi| is equal to the inner product <\chi|\psi>. However, it is not valid to use the equation Tr(\hat{A}\hat{B})=Tr(\hat{B}\hat{A}) in this case, as we are only dealing with a single operator, not a product of two operators. The correct way to calculate the trace is to use the definition: Tr(A) = \sum_{n} A_{nn} = \sum_{n} \langle n | A | n \rangle.
guitarphysics

Homework Statement

In Zettili's QM textbook, we are asked to find the trace of an operator [itex] |\psi><\chi| [/itex]. Where the kets [itex]|\psi> [/itex] and [itex]|\chi> [/itex] are equal to some (irrelevant, for the purposes of this question) linear combinations of two orthonormal basis kets.

Homework Equations

[itex] Tr(\hat{A}\hat{B})=Tr(\hat{B}\hat{A}) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is given in the textbook. Zettili says the following:

Since [itex] Tr(\hat{A}\hat{B})=Tr(\hat{B}\hat{A}) [/itex], we know that [itex] Tr(|\psi><\chi|)=Tr(<\chi|\psi>) [/itex].

From then on calculating the trace is no problem.

My question is if this is a valid argument. It seems to me that the equation Zettili is starting from talks about the trace of two operators not caring about the order the operators are multiplied in. However, the trace we want to find in this problem is the trace of a single operator, namely [itex] |\psi><\chi| [/itex]. The reversal of the product from ket-bra to bra-ket doesn't seem to be the same concept as changing the order of multiplication of two operators. Can anybody help me out here?

(If anyone's curious, this is Problem 2.1 c on page 133-134 of the second edition of Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Simply speaking
$$ trace(\langle \Psi | \Phi \rangle) = \langle \Psi | \Phi \rangle = \sum_n \langle \Psi | n\rangle \langle n | \Phi \rangle = trace(|\Psi\rangle\langle\Phi|)$$

gre_abandon said:
Simply speaking
$$ trace(\langle \Psi | \Phi \rangle) = \langle \Psi | \Phi \rangle = \sum_n \langle \Psi | n\rangle \langle n | \Phi \rangle = trace(|\Psi\rangle\langle\Phi|)$$
No, this is not correct
[tex]\mbox{Tr}(\langle \Psi | \Phi \rangle) = (\langle \Psi | \Phi \rangle) \ \mbox{Tr} ( \mbox{identity} ) \neq \langle \Psi | \Phi \rangle [/tex]

guitarphysics said:
Since [itex] Tr(\hat{A}\hat{B})=Tr(\hat{B}\hat{A}) [/itex], we know that [itex] Tr(|\psi><\chi|)=Tr(<\chi|\psi>) [/itex].
This is very, very wrong:
1) You only have one operator. So, you can not use the identity [itex]\mbox{Tr}(AB) = \mbox{Tr}(BA)[/itex].
2) [itex]\mbox{Tr}( | \Psi \rangle \langle \Phi | ) \neq \mbox{Tr}(\langle \Phi | \Psi \rangle )[/itex]. Because [itex]\langle \Phi | \Psi \rangle [/itex] is a number, you can pull it out of the trace operation, and in n-dimension you get
[tex]\mbox{Tr}\left( \langle \Phi | \Psi \rangle \right) = \mbox{Tr}\left( \langle \Phi | \Psi \rangle \ I \right) = \langle \Phi | \Psi \rangle \mbox{Tr}( I ) = n \langle \Phi | \Psi \rangle [/tex]
More similar mistakes some students make are the following
[tex]\mbox{Tr} \left( | \psi \rangle \langle \phi | \right) = \mbox{Tr} \left( ( | \psi \rangle I ) \langle \phi | \right) = \mbox{Tr} \left( \langle \phi | \psi \rangle \ I \right) ,[/tex]
[tex]\mbox{Tr} \left( | \psi \rangle \langle \phi | \ I \right) = \mbox{Tr} ( \langle \phi | I | \psi \rangle ) = \mbox{Tr} ( \langle \phi | \psi \rangle )[/tex]
These are wrong because the objects [itex]( |\psi \rangle I )[/itex], [itex]( \langle \phi | I )[/itex], [itex]( |\psi \rangle )[/itex] or [itex]( \langle \phi | )[/itex] are not operators. Therefore one can not apply the identity [itex]\mbox{Tr}(AB) = \mbox{Tr}(BA)[/itex].
Now, to solve your problem, you only need to apply the definition of the trace
[tex]\mbox{Tr}(A) = \sum_{n} A_{nn} = \sum_{n} \langle n | A | n \rangle ,[/tex]
where [itex]\{ |n\rangle \}[/itex] are complete orthonormal states, i.e., they satisfy
[itex]\langle m | n \rangle = \delta_{mn}[/itex] and [itex]\sum | n \rangle \langle n | = I[/itex].
In your case
[tex]\mbox{Tr}( | \Psi \rangle \langle \Phi | ) = \sum_{n} \langle n | \Psi \rangle \langle \Phi | n \rangle .[/tex]
Since [itex]\langle n | \Psi \rangle[/itex] and [itex]\langle \Phi | n \rangle[/itex] are numbers, you can write the above as
[tex]
\begin{align*}
\mbox{Tr}( | \Psi \rangle \langle \Phi | ) &= \sum_{n} \langle \Phi | n \rangle \langle n | \Psi \rangle \\
&= \langle \Phi | \left( \sum_{n} | n \rangle \langle n | \right) | \Psi \rangle \\
&= \langle \Phi | I | \Psi \rangle \\
&= \langle \Phi | \Psi \rangle ,
\end{align*}
[/tex]
where the completeness relation [itex]\sum |n \rangle \langle n | = I[/itex] has been used.

samalkhaiat said:
No, this is not correct
[tex]\mbox{Tr}(\langle \Psi | \Phi \rangle) = (\langle \Psi | \Phi \rangle) \ \mbox{Tr} ( \mbox{identity} ) \neq \langle \Psi | \Phi \rangle [/tex]
I see your point. I treated the number as a one-by-one matrix because I am not sure whether it is really a scalar times a identity matrix (not clear from the statement of the problem). Except this point, everything is fine.

Thanks so much for your reply! I originally just calculated it directly when presented with the problem (i.e. I worked straight from the definition of trace) and got the same answer as the author (and afterwards also applied a similar procedure to yours to arrive at the more general expression), but I just didn't understand how Zettili had done it his way. Glad to know it was incorrect, although it confirms my growing suspicion while reading this book that Shankar's text is far superior and more reliable (with so few frickin problems though!).

1. What is the Zettili QM Problem on Trace of an Operator?

The Zettili QM Problem on Trace of an Operator is a mathematical problem in quantum mechanics that involves calculating the trace of an operator, which is a mathematical object that represents a physical observable in quantum mechanics.

2. What is the importance of solving the Zettili QM Problem on Trace of an Operator?

Solving the Zettili QM Problem on Trace of an Operator is important because it allows us to derive useful equations and formulas for calculating the trace of an operator, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. These solutions can then be used to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems.

3. What are some applications of the Zettili QM Problem on Trace of an Operator?

The solutions to the Zettili QM Problem on Trace of an Operator can be applied in various fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum information theory. They can also be used to understand and analyze experimental data in quantum mechanics.

4. How is the Zettili QM Problem on Trace of an Operator solved?

The Zettili QM Problem on Trace of an Operator is solved using mathematical techniques such as matrix algebra, linear algebra, and complex analysis. These techniques allow us to manipulate and simplify the equations involved in calculating the trace of an operator.

5. Are there any challenges associated with solving the Zettili QM Problem on Trace of an Operator?

Yes, there are several challenges associated with solving the Zettili QM Problem on Trace of an Operator. These include dealing with complex mathematical equations, understanding the underlying physical concepts, and applying the solutions to practical problems in quantum mechanics.