Qube root of 2, zero of second order polynomial

In summary, to prove that there does not exist numbers a,b\in\mathbb{Q} such that 0 = a + b\sqrt[3]{2} + \sqrt[3]{2}^2, one can use the idea of minimal polynomials. It is known that X^2+bX+a must divide X^3-2, and if the cube root of 2 satisfies a quadratic polynomial, then it cannot be the minimal polynomial since there is a lower degree polynomial that gives us zero. Therefore, the only possibility is that the minimal polynomial is degree 2, and the quadratic polynomial must be the minimal polynomial. This provides one way to prove the statement, with several other possible methods available.
jostpuur
How do you prove that there does not exist numbers [itex]a,b\in\mathbb{Q}[/itex] such that

[tex]
0 = a + b\sqrt[3]{2} + \sqrt[3]{2}^2
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The polynomial [itex]X^2+aX+c[/itex] will have to divide [itex]X^3-2[/itex] in that case.

I think we only know that [itex]X-\sqrt[3]{2}[/itex] must divide [itex]X^2+bX+a[/itex].

[itex]X^2+bX+a[/itex] doesn't need to divide anything.

I see.

I have tried to read Galois theory earlier, and now I started remembering stuff. :cool: (Although that Wikipedia-page didn't help much...)

The knowledge that [itex]X^2+bX+a[/itex] must divide [itex]X^3-2[/itex] is one possible way to the proof, but actually the idea of the minimal polynomial can be used in more primitive ways too. For example, simply write

[tex]
X^3 - 2 = (X^2 + bX + a)(X - b) + (b^2 - a)X + ab - 2
[/tex]

and proof starts to appear.

micromass said:
The polynomial [itex]X^2+aX+c[/itex] will have to divide [itex]X^3-2[/itex] in that case.

What is the logic behind this statement? From a false premiss you can of course deduce anyhing you like, but I assume that is not your intended logic here. When it comes to minimal polynomials and such, the general result is usually the other way around: if g(x)[itex]\epsilon[/itex]Q[x] has a root [itex]\alpha[/itex], then the minimal polynomial of [itex]\alpha[/itex] divides g.

Norwegian said:
What is the logic behind this statement? From a false premiss you can of course deduce anyhing you like, but I assume that is not your intended logic here. When it comes to minimal polynomials and such, the general result is usually the other way around: if g(x)[itex]\epsilon[/itex]Q[x] has a root [itex]\alpha[/itex], then the minimal polynomial of [itex]\alpha[/itex] divides g.

If the cube root of 2 satisfies a quadratic polynomial, then x3-2 is NOT the minimal polynomial (since there's a lower degree polynomial that gives us zero). So there are two possibilities

1) The minimal polynomial is degree 1 - obviously false
2) The minimal polynomial is degree 2 - in this case, the quadratic polynomial we have must be the minimal polynomial

Norwegian said:

With the anti-thesis assumption the [itex]X^2+bX+a[/itex] becomes the "new" minimal polynomial. Or at least that's one way to get to the proof. See my reponse #5 to see the essential. There are several ways to complete the proof then.

What is the Qube root of 2?

The Qube root of 2 is the number that, when multiplied by itself three times, gives a result of 2. In other words, it is the number that satisfies the equation x3 = 2.

What is the zero of a second order polynomial?

The zero of a second order polynomial is the value of x that makes the polynomial equal to 0. It can be found by solving the quadratic equation ax2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the polynomial.

Why is the Qube root of 2 important?

The Qube root of 2 is important in mathematics because it is an irrational number, meaning it cannot be expressed as a fraction of two integers. This number is also used in various mathematical proofs and calculations.

How do you calculate the Qube root of 2?

The Qube root of 2 can be approximated using various numerical methods, such as the Newton-Raphson method or the bisection method. It can also be found using a calculator or by referencing a table of values.

What is the relationship between the Qube root of 2 and the zero of a second order polynomial?

The Qube root of 2 can be expressed as the zero of a second order polynomial with coefficients 1, 0, and -2. This means that the Qube root of 2 is a solution to the equation x2 - 2 = 0. In general, the Qube root of any number can be expressed as the zero of a second order polynomial with the appropriate coefficients.