Wave Equation, stuck on a partial calculation

by Somefantastik
Tags: differentation, integral, partial
Share this thread:
Somefantastik
Aug30-08, 04:21 PM
P: 225
Hey everybody,

My professor started our PDE I class in Chapter six, so I am having a hard time with the really basic stuff to get the theory down.

One of my questions to answer is to verify a solution by using direct substitution.

[tex]u(x,t) \ = \ \frac{1}{2}\left[\phi(x+t) \ + \ \phi(x-t) \right] \ + \ \frac{1}{2} \int^{x+t}_{x-t}\Psi(s)ds [/tex]

With initial conditions

[tex] u(x,t_{0}) = \phi(x) \ , \ \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} (x,t_{0}) = \Psi(x), \ and \ t_{0} = 0 [/tex]

satisfies [tex]\frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial t^{2}} = 0 [/tex]

It was easy for me to plug and chug to show that [tex] u(x,t_{0}) = \phi(x) \ and \ \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} (x,t_{0}) = \Psi(x) [/tex]

Clearly my next step is to find [tex] \frac{\partial^{2}u}{\partial x^{2}} [/tex]

but that's the step on which I'm stuck. Can someone get me started? If someone can show me how to do the second partial w.r.t x, it would be a good exercise for me to figure out the second partial w.r.t t. I apply the chain rule and just get a bunch of garbage back, which means I'm messing it up somewhere.

Any input is appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
HallsofIvy
Aug30-08, 04:37 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,565
You need "Leibniz' formula":
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \phi(x,t)dt= \frac{d\beta}{dx}\phi(x,\beta(x))- \frac{d\alpha}{dx}\phi(x,\alpha(x))+ \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}dt[/tex]

It's really just applying the chain rule correctly.
Somefantastik
Aug31-08, 02:13 PM
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \phi(x,t)dt= \frac{d\beta}{dx}\phi(x,\beta(x))- \frac{d\alpha}{dx}\phi(x,\alpha(x))+ \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}dt
[/tex]

I'm having trouble understanding this. It looks like the integrand you gave is a function of 2 variables, but the integrand I have is a function of one variable. I'm not sure what to do with that.

Also:
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (\phi(x+t)) = ? [/tex]

is it [tex] = \phi '(x + t), \ or \ \phi_{x}(x+t) \ ? [/tex]

In the notation of a function, how do I write that? I guess I'm having a notational brain fart.

Somefantastik
Aug31-08, 03:04 PM
Wave Equation, stuck on a partial calculation

I found this worked out in Walter Strauss's book, so I guess I don't need help anymore. Thanks for looking :)
HallsofIvy
Sep1-08, 03:29 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,565
Quote Quote by Somefantastik View Post
[tex]
\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \phi(x,t)dt= \frac{d\beta}{dx}\phi(x,\beta(x))- \frac{d\alpha}{dx}\phi(x,\alpha(x))+ \int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}dt
[/tex]

I'm having trouble understanding this. It looks like the integrand you gave is a function of 2 variables, but the integrand I have is a function of one variable. I'm not sure what to do with that.
In that case,
[tex]\frac{\partial\phi}{\partial x}= 0[/tex]
and the formula becomes
[tex] \frac{d}{dx}\int_{\alpha(x)}^{\beta(x)} \phi(x,t)dt= \frac{d\beta}{dx}\phi(x,\beta(x))- \frac{d\alpha}{dx}\phi(x,\alpha(x)) [/tex]

Also:
[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (\phi(x+t)) = ? [/tex]

is it [tex] = \phi '(x + t), \ or \ \phi_{x}(x+t) \ ? [/tex]

In the notation of a function, how do I write that? I guess I'm having a notational brain fart.
Use the chain rule. If [itex]\phi'(u)[/itex] is the derivative of [itex]\phi[/itex] as a function of the single variable u, then
[tex]\frac{\partial\phi(x+t)}{\partial x}= \phi'(x+t)(1)= \phi'(x+t)[/tex]
Somefantastik
Sep3-08, 07:38 AM
HallsofIvy, thanks for helping me.

If anyone finds this post and needs help with taking the derivative of an integral, I found this website that helped as well: http://mathmistakes.info/facts/Calcu...n/doi/doi.html

Register to reply