Sigmund Freud

by Dooga Blackrazor
Tags: freud, sigmund
Jake
Jun4-04, 03:44 PM
P: 105
Quote Quote by honestrosewater

Does science go: observation-> hypothesis-> theory? Or is there testing involved? How did Freud test his theories? Contrast that with Pavlov's salivating dog. This is the reason I mentioned Freud's "scientific" method. And the reason I mentioned James is because James is known for his scientific approach to psychology and, since they worked around the same time, I thought Jake had perhaps mixed them up.

Rachel
Any "testing" Freud did was probably the psycho-anylisis of his patients. Really, its not possible to test his theories in the way pavlov did, because his theories were more geared to the untestable internal workings of the brain. Remember, Einstein's theories were untested till a while after he made them, and some parts still are infact untested. You can be scientific without having rock solid tangable testing to back up your theories.
honestrosewater
Jun4-04, 04:45 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,330
Quote Quote by Jake
Any "testing" Freud did was probably the psycho-anylisis of his patients. Really, its not possible to test his theories in the way pavlov did, because his theories were more geared to the untestable internal workings of the brain. Remember, Einstein's theories were untested till a while after he made them, and some parts still are infact untested. You can be scientific without having rock solid tangable testing to back up your theories.
If Einstein had said, "I have this very interesting idea, but it cannot be tested" what would have happened? A theory that is theoretically untestable is not a scientific theory, it is a philosophical theory.
A theory is not evidence.
Sure, Freud didn't have to test his theories himself. Sorry, that is not what I meant. Any of Freud's theories which are untestable are unscientific.
Physics was around for a long time, in a philosophical context, before Galileo. But there is a difference between 1) making observations and 2) performing experiments to test a theory.

You can develop a science to investigate the internal workings of the brain- look at the cognitive sciences. And what is Pavlov's conditioning if not an explanation of the internal workings of the brain?

How many psychologists still *practice* psychoanalysis?

I never (seriously) said that Freud's theories were crap; only that they were not scientific.

Happy thoughts
Rachel
Jake
Jun4-04, 06:12 PM
P: 105
I should have said they were not testable in the practibility sense, not that they are untestable *period*. So while its difficult to test Freuds theories directly and fully, they are testable in an indirect manner such as through psychoanylisis. So yes, Freuds theories are scientific, but they just arent built on such a solid foundation as other theories.
hitssquad
Jun4-04, 08:54 PM
P: 1,382
I never (seriously) said that Freud's theories were crap; only that they were not scientific.
Freud's concept of ego defense mechanisms seems to be alive and well in the field of personality disorders research.
zoobyshoe
Jun5-04, 12:30 AM
P: 5,616
OMG! Okay, if everyone agrees he's so easy to knock, why get so offended when it happens?
I can't speak for anyone else, but I was offended on the basis that you were knocking him in such a way that the good is dismissed with the bad.

Really? You know, a wise man once said,
No, I stand by what I said. Freud is still read and seriously discussed, because he was the big mover and shaker in psychology for many decades. You can't understand how we got to where we are today without understanding where we started and the path things took. For the bulk of its history the path of psychology meandered around through Freud country. The fact that most people are happy it has emerged from that land doesn't mean we can deny we were there.
What exactly did I say to provoke that attack anyway?
Freud is famous because he talked about sex. And as we all know, sex sells.
This is the standard, tired, clichéd, dismissal of Freud, that ignores his large concern with the damaging effects of sexual abuse of children, and also with what happens to people when they are taught that performing and even thinking about sex carries with it an extreme shame requirement. The fact he tried to get people to question that extreme shame requirement is, really, why we don't have it anymore to the extent Freud and his contemporaries did.

Your rather dull-minded suggestion that Freud was just trying to stir up controversy to sell books was the lamest kind of dismissal of him there is. There isn't any reason for it, since, there are many authentic reasons to object to Freud.
If I could have edited it in time, I would take back the bit about James being the first and explain why I don't think Freud's method was scientific...
Yes, that would be very much better than the way you actually did put it, which was to assert that he more or less just made things up in his head as he went along.
Happy thoughts Rachel
Yes, happy thoughts, honestrosewater. You know, I can help you catch him. I can help you catch Buffalo Freud. But you must give me something in return. I want a room, with a window. I want to be able to see outside, maybe to see a tree...Think about it. Poor William James doesn't have much time, Honestrosewater. Times a wastin' Tic Tock, Tick Tock.
honestrosewater
Jun5-04, 09:21 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,330
zoobyshoe, Apparently you aren't interested in having a discussion and just want to put words in my mouth. Fine, knock yourself out.
the number 42
Jun8-04, 08:41 AM
P: 494
Quote Quote by hitssquad
Freud's concept of ego defense mechanisms seems to be alive and well in the field of personality disorders research.
And in other areas of psychology too. Thing is, they tend to remain only theories and fairly hard to find satisfactory evidence for. This, I suggest, is primarily because science tends to raise the threshold of proof for controversial theories, and Freud remains controversial. If the mechanisms had been proposed by Figmund Soyd, a workaday cognitive scientist, they would have a lot more chance of being taken seriously, and evidence would be less contended.

Compare all of this to Bartlett's schema theory, which has been around for nigh on 70 years now and is alive and flourishing, despite being about as loose a theory as you can get. Moral of the story: if you want to be respected, don't bring peoples' mums into your theory.
zoobyshoe
Jun8-04, 09:19 AM
Quote Quote by the number 42
Moral of the story: if you want to be respected, don't bring peoples' mums into your theory.
Or: someone has to bushwack out into unpaved territory and make all the dumb mistakes. I remain impressed by him, given his circumstances.
nlathers
Jun24-04, 09:08 PM
P: 2
Unfortunately even most who read Freud do not understand his theories.
For example someone stated above '[society repressed sex more in Freuds time]'.
Repression is carried out within an individual, during childhood. The child is at this age, unable to understand that society represses anything.
zoobyshoe
Jun24-04, 09:22 PM
Quote Quote by nlathers
Unfortunately even most who read Freud do not understand his theories.
For example someone stated above '[society repressed sex more in Freuds time]'.
Repression is carried out within an individual, during childhood. The child is at this age, unable to understand that society represses anything.
I think you're trying to point out I misspoke and said repress when I should have said supress.
nlathers
Jun25-04, 01:23 PM
P: 2
thank you zoobeyshoe.
I did consider that possibility. Sorry!

Register to reply