Functions that are not integrable in terms of elementary functions.

In summary, the conversation was about solving a differential equation involving an integral that could not be integrated in terms of elementary functions. The individual asked if there was a theorem or algorithm for determining if a function is integrable in terms of elementary functions and if the given function was integrable in a finite number of elementary functions. The response was that there is a theorem, but it is not simple, and mathematica can be used as a practical test. The individual also requested a link to the theorem and a suggestion was made to expand the function in its Taylor series expansion for easier integration.
╔(σ_σ)╝
I was doing my differential equations homework. I had to solve y'' -4y = (e^(2x))/x.

While doing this I ran into an integral[tex]\int\frac{e^{4x}}{4x}dx[/tex]. I tried integrating my times but I couldn't; my guess is that this cannot be integrated in terms of elementary functions but I'm not sure.

Is there a theorem or Algorithm for knowing if a function is integrable in terms of elementary functions or not ?

If so, can someone tell me the theorem ?

And in my case is my function integrable in a finite number of elementary functions ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe there is a theorem, although it's not particularly simple.

As a practical matter, I've found mathematica a good enough test.

Yeah, I saw the answer given by mathematica after my post.

But do you have a link to the theorem É
I would like to see it even though, I may understand little of it.

R. Risch, The problem of integration in finite terms, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc , 139 (1969), 167-189. Mathematical Reviews (MathSciNet): MR38:5759

KASPER T. (1980): "Integration in Finite Terms: the Liouville Theory", Mathematics Magazine 53 pp 195 - 201.

Maxwell Rosenlicht, Pacific Journal of Mathematics 54 (1968) pp 153 - 161 and 65 (1976) pp 485 - 492.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risch_algorithm

Thanks.

Maybe you could expand e^{4x} in its Taylor series expansion. and then look at the integral of (e^{4x}-1)/x+1/x. In the first term there will be a cancellation of a power of x so it will be a polynomial integration. and the second gives ln(x). But depending on your integration bound there might be an issue with ln(x) (it blows up at x=0).

1. What is meant by a function that is not integrable in terms of elementary functions?

A function that is not integrable in terms of elementary functions is a mathematical function that cannot be expressed as a combination of basic functions such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions using a finite number of operations. In other words, there is no known formula or method to find the definite integral of such a function.

2. How can we determine if a function is not integrable in terms of elementary functions?

There is no general method to determine if a function is not integrable in terms of elementary functions. However, some common characteristics of such functions include infinitely oscillating behavior, having a singularity or discontinuity, or involving complex numbers in the integral.

3. Why are functions that are not integrable in terms of elementary functions important in mathematics?

These functions are important because they provide examples of functions that cannot be expressed in a closed form using basic functions. They also challenge mathematicians to find new methods and techniques for evaluating integrals and have implications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can we still approximate the value of the integral for a function that is not integrable in terms of elementary functions?

Yes, we can approximate the value of the integral using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or Monte Carlo integration. These methods use numerical techniques to approximate the area under the curve and provide an estimate of the integral.

5. Are there any functions that are not integrable in terms of elementary functions?

Yes, there are many functions that are not integrable in terms of elementary functions. Some examples include the error function, the gamma function, and the exponential integral function. These functions are commonly used in various fields but cannot be integrated using basic functions.