Solve Series Problems with Expert Help | Homework Statement & Equations Included

• Thread starter Fresh(2^)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that is not assigned as homework but is found interesting by the speaker. The problem involves finding the expression for the radius of a series of circles, with the limit of the partial sums being 1. The speaker shares their ideas on approaching the problem and asks for feedback. Another person suggests using Pythagoras' theorem and building a recursive definition to solve the problem. The speaker finds the solution interesting and simple in the end.
Fresh(2^)

Homework Statement

Not expected to do for Home work but i found the problem interesting. The problem is exactly as stated in Att.

Homework Equations

Not sure:: d = C/pi?

The Attempt at a Solution

Really I don't see a systematic way of approaching this problem, but these are the ideas ! have: Notice that the limit of the of the partial sums must be = 1 ( for n = 1 to infinity; n n--> inf.) which is the radius of the outer circles. So Cn :: the expression to be found is convergent. Here also C1 > C2. 0 < Cn < Cn - 1 < 1. that let's me consider 1 > 1/(n + 1). which encourages .. 1 - 1/ (n +1) as the partial sum taking the lim n --> to inf. i get 1 then adding i get 1/n(n+1) for diameter of Cn Is this reasoning correct ? If not I'd appreciate a prod in right direction.

thanks guys
-Orson
*for some reason Att, is showing up, I used the upload from computer tool but i don't see the attachment. ohh my bad

Attachments

• PRobLEm_^3_PF_help.jpg
    PRobLEm_^3_PF_help.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understand your idea so I am not able to tell if the will be productive or not. However, I do know that you can solve the problem by looking at the geometric relationship between height (above bottom line) and radius of Cn (hint: use Pythagoras) and then build a recursive definition of these knowing the height of C1 is 0 and solve some finite sums. Its actually quite interesting how the radius comes out rather simple in the end.

Related to Solve Series Problems with Expert Help | Homework Statement & Equations Included

1. What is the process for solving series problems?

The process for solving series problems involves understanding the given homework statement and identifying the relevant equations. Then, you must plug in the given values and manipulate the equations to find the desired solution. It is important to check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. How can I find expert help for solving series problems?

There are many resources available for finding expert help with solving series problems. You can seek help from a tutor, attend study groups or workshops, or utilize online resources such as forums or video tutorials. It is also helpful to reach out to your teacher or professor for additional assistance.

3. What are some common equations used in solving series problems?

Some common equations used in solving series problems include the sum of a finite geometric series, the sum of an infinite geometric series, and the sum of a finite arithmetic series. It is important to familiarize yourself with these equations and their variations in order to effectively solve series problems.

4. How can I check if my solution to a series problem is correct?

One way to check if your solution to a series problem is correct is to plug your answer back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the given statement. You can also compare your solution to the solution provided by an expert or in a textbook. Another helpful strategy is to work through the problem using a different method to see if you get the same result.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to solve a series problem?

If you are struggling to solve a series problem, it is important to remain calm and not get discouraged. Take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. You can also seek help from a tutor, classmate, or online resource. It may also be helpful to review any relevant concepts or equations and practice solving similar problems. Remember to ask for help if you need it and don't give up!