More Stable Electron Configuration For Copper

In summary: So my summary is that he thinks that there is a 'higher energy level' associated with Copper, Silver, and Gold, and that the half-full 3d subshell is more stable. Additionally, he thinks that Chronium is more stable than expected because it has a full 3d subshell.
MysticDude
Gold Member

Homework Statement

This isn't really a homework question, but it is part of a lecture powerpoint that the teacher will go through with on Monday and I was just getting ahead so I can understand better.

[PLAIN]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3088/cuelectronconfig.png

Homework Equations

NONE

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would be the first one because 4s^2 has a higher energy level so I thought that copper would be more stable. I'm not sure if I'm understanding the wording correctly. So I don't know the correct answer but I hope someone can help me understand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you're in high school or first year chemistry, and the explanation given is that there is a 'special stability' associated with the Copper 3d shell being full, as well as Silver and Gold. In addition, there is also the Chronium having more stability with a half full 3d subshell as opposed to the expected configuration of 4s2 3d4.

There is supposed to be a much more complicated explanation, and I've tried asking my profs as well, but they say that I won't understand it with the current knowledge I have. For now, first years are just supposed to memorize those elements, (Cr, Cu, Ag, Au).

Sorry if that answer is not sufficient, perhaps someone else on the physics board could be of greater help.

Last edited:
Well, the class is just finished 2nd week of AP Chemistry. This lesson is to be taught on Monday and I wanted to get ahead :P. Thanks for your explanation! I think that my teacher's wording is hard to make out. I mean he is really smart (he wrote books and articles and is called Dr.) but he isn't the most fluent in English, by that I mean that he is understandable, but he can leave some things out XD.

1. What is the electron configuration of copper?

The electron configuration of copper is 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 4s1 3d10. This means that it has a total of 29 electrons, with two electrons in the first energy level, eight in the second, eighteen in the third, and one in the fourth.

2. Why is copper's electron configuration considered more stable?

Copper's electron configuration is considered more stable because it follows the "aufbau principle", which states that electrons fill the lowest energy levels first before moving to higher energy levels. In copper, the 4s sublevel is filled before the 3d sublevel, which results in a more stable electronic configuration.

3. How does the stability of copper's electron configuration relate to its reactivity?

The more stable an element's electron configuration, the less reactive it is. This is because elements with stable electron configurations have a full outermost energy level, making it more difficult for them to lose or gain electrons and undergo chemical reactions.

4. Can copper's electron configuration change?

Yes, copper's electron configuration can change in certain chemical reactions. For example, it can lose one electron to form a +1 cation with an electron configuration of 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d10. It can also lose two electrons to form a +2 cation with an electron configuration of 1s2 2s2 2p6 3s2 3p6 3d9.

5. How does copper's electron configuration affect its physical properties?

Due to its stable electron configuration, copper has a high melting and boiling point, making it a good conductor of heat and electricity. It also has a unique reddish-orange color due to the way its electrons absorb and reflect light. Additionally, its electron configuration plays a role in its ductility and malleability, making it easy to shape into wires and other forms.