Yes, there is a typo. The correct electronic configuration for Yb+ is 4f146s.

• A
  • Thread starter kelly0303
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionization
kelly0303
Hello! I am building a velocity map imagining (basically measuring the energy and angular distributions of electrons upon ionization). To test the setup I decided the use Yb (as we have an oven in our lab) and given the lasers we have, I am using a transition around 266 nm and then ionize it with a 532 laser. The energy of the electrons should be around 0.75 eV. However, the angular distribution I am seeing is not very clear and I just realized that the level I am ionizing from has the electronic configuration: ##4f^{13}5d^26s##, while the ground state of Yb##^+## is ##4f^{14}6s##. Can someone help me understand what is happening with the electronic structure upon ionization? I assume I am ionizing one of the 5d electrons, but how is the other one going to the 4f orbital? Is that happening at the same time with the ionization? Or is it going to a higher level then decaying (however this last possibility wouldn’t work if the the extra energy is not high enough to excite a higher lying state in Yb##^+##). Any insight into this would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
kelly0303 said:
I just realized that the level I am ionizing from has the electronic configuration: 4f135d26s, while the ground state of Yb+ is 4f146s.
Is there a typo in there? Specifically:

kelly0303 said:
4f135d26s,
Isn't that too many electrons for Yb+?