Register to reply

How was Einsteins understanding of the universe formed by his theory of relativity?

by LSulayman
Tags: theory of relativity, universe
Share this thread:
LSulayman
Feb19-11, 03:51 PM
P: 42
How was Einsteins understanding of the universe formed by his theory of relativity?
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
Mixing in star-forming clouds explains why sibling stars look alike
Mysteries of space dust revealed
A guide to the 2014 Neptune opposition season
russ_watters
Feb19-11, 04:14 PM
Mentor
P: 22,301
The question doesn't make much sense to me...it is redundant (the theory of Relativity is an understanding of the universe). Could you elaborate/reword?
LSulayman
Feb19-11, 04:26 PM
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
The question doesn't make much sense to me...it is redundant (the theory of Relativity is an understanding of the universe). Could you elaborate/reword?
Well, Einstein came up with the theory of Relativity, but how does the theory relate to the universe? What is link? How does it explain the universe?
If I'm still not making any sense, just say it and I'll try to explain myself again.

Btw, that was actually a question my teacher asked me...so I'm also trying to find out what he meant.

russ_watters
Feb19-11, 05:00 PM
Mentor

A theory is a description of how the universe operates.
LSulayman
Feb19-11, 05:12 PM
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
A theory is a description of how the universe operates.
Then how and why did Einstein come up with his model of the universe?
russ_watters
Feb20-11, 08:24 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by LSulayman View Post
Then how and why did Einstein come up with his model of the universe?
He applied logic and math to experimental evidence is the "how". The "why"....I guess he found scientific inquiry more interesting than being a patent examiner!
cepheid
Feb25-11, 06:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,196
Quote Quote by LSulayman View Post
Well, Einstein came up with the theory of Relativity, but how does the theory relate to the universe? What is link? How does it explain the universe?
If I'm still not making any sense, just say it and I'll try to explain myself again.

Btw, that was actually a question my teacher asked me...so I'm also trying to find out what he meant.
The usefulness of general relativity (GR) to cosmology comes about as follows:

GR, as you know, provides an explanation of gravity. It says that mass (or energy) curves spacetime, and the curvature of spacetime tells objects how to move.

Therefore, GR provides a theoretical framework for understanding the structure of spacetime. In particular, it says that the geometry of the universe depends upon its matter and energy content. So GR makes predictions about the geometry (open, closed, flat) of the universe, as well as its dynamics (static, contracting, expanding). One of the first useful applications of GR was to try to model the universe, and it provided a natural explanation for Hubble's* observations of a uniformly expanding universe.

*the astronomer, not the space telescope.

Register to reply