I want to axiomatize sudoku

by TylerH
Tags: axiomatize, sudoku
TylerH
Mar18-11, 02:08 PM
P: 737
For an exercise, I want to axiomatize sudoku.

I've came up with the definition of the sudoku puzzle in mathematical terms, as well as the definition of a solved puzzle. I'm have trouble going from there to draw theorems from my newly defined system. How does one generate theorems about an abstract system like this?

My definition:

Generalizing for an n^2 x n^2 sudoku puzzle:

Let there be a matrix, A, of deminsions, n x n, such that each element is a matrix of deminsions, n x n.
Let there be a set, S = {x exists in N, 1 <= x <= n^2}.

The puzzle is solved iff every element of A contains exactly one of each member of S and for every i from 1 to n, the set of elements in A(i, j) for j from 1 to n contains exactly one of each member of S.

Any suggestions on changes to the definition are also appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
micromass
Mar18-11, 07:23 PM
Mentor
P: 16,613
With a sudoku puzzle, we can associate a operation * as:

[tex]*:\{1,...,n\}\times\{1,...,n\}\rightarrow \{1,...,n\}[/tex]

such that k*l is the number in row k, column l. Thus the Cayley multiplication table of this operation is our Sudoku puzzle.

An interesting thing to find out is what properties our * satisfies. For example, you can show that * is cancelative, that is:

[tex]a*b=a*c~\Rightarrow~b=c[/tex]

That's a theorem you can prove. Maybe you can search some other things that hold for our *...

Register to reply