Optimizing Sudoku Determinants: Finding the Minimum and Maximum Values

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of Sudoku matrices and poses two problems related to their determinants. The first problem asks for a Sudoku matrix with a determinant of 0, and the second problem asks for the minimum positive value that a Sudoku matrix can have as a determinant. The poster has managed to solve the first problem and has a lower bound of 405 for the second problem, but is still working on finding the exact minimum value. They also mention using a mini generator in Matlab to generate large determinants and are interested in the formulas for determinants of block matrices.
alexeih

Homework Statement

A while ago someone posted this problem:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem 1 (given after a discussion of determinants in week 3/4 of the course):
Consider a 9x9 matrix A. We say that A is a Sudoku matrix if it's the valid solution to a Sudoku puzzle. That is if,
1) Every row and every column is a permutation of {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}.
2) If we write it in block form:
A=
A1 A2 A3
A4 A5 A6
A7 A8 A9

where Ai is a 3x3 matrix, then every Ai has elements {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}.
Now the problem is:
a) Find a Sudoku matrix with determinant 0.
b) Does there exist a Sudoku matrix with determinant 1. If not then determine the least positive number that a Sudoku matrix can have as a determinant.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've managed to get a) and a lower bound of 405 on b), but showing *the* lower bound is eluding me. I wrote a mini generator in matlab, so that when I do a relatively simple permutation, like switching 1 and 2 in a singular matrix it generates large determinants, so my postulate is that it's something like 5*3^9, but I'm tearing my hair out here.

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be interesting how you got that lower bound.

In addition, did you calculate the determinant of some random sudokus?

Formulas for determinants of block matrices could be interesting.

1. What is a Sudoku determinant?

A Sudoku determinant is a mathematical concept used to solve Sudoku puzzles. It is a number that represents the difficulty level of a Sudoku puzzle and helps determine the steps needed to solve it.

2. How is a Sudoku determinant calculated?

A Sudoku determinant is calculated by taking into account the number of clues provided in a Sudoku puzzle and applying a formula that assigns a difficulty level based on the number of clues.

3. What is the significance of a Sudoku determinant?

A Sudoku determinant helps players determine the level of challenge a Sudoku puzzle presents and can guide them in deciding which puzzles to attempt based on their skill level.

4. How can I use a Sudoku determinant to solve a puzzle?

A Sudoku determinant can be used to help players identify the next logical step in solving a puzzle. By understanding the difficulty level, players can determine which techniques and strategies to use to complete the puzzle.

5. Is a Sudoku determinant the only factor in solving a puzzle?

No, a Sudoku determinant is just one aspect of solving a puzzle. Other factors, such as the placement of numbers and the use of logic and strategy, also play a crucial role in solving a Sudoku puzzle.