Register to reply

Derivatives: Composites, normal lines, n-th derivatives and more.

by StopWatch
Tags: composites, derivatives, lines, normal
Share this thread:
StopWatch
Jun22-11, 03:23 PM
P: 38
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. The line perpendicular to the curve y = 2x^3 - x^2 + x - 3 at the point (1, -1) will intersect the x-axis at what point?

2. f(x) = |x^2 - 5| - x, for all x. Let g = f(f(f(x))), find g'(2). I tried just subbing in 2x - 1, the first derivative, to f(2x - 1) and then once more and ended up with 16 somehow, when the answer is -45.

3. If f(x) = ln(2X^2 + x - 1) - ln(x+1) find the 98th derivative at (1/2 + sqrt(2)/2). I know that the derivative simplifies to 2(2x - 1) and the 2nd derivative to -2/(2x-1)^2 and the 3rd to -8(2x-1)/2x-1)^4 but I always have a hard time generalizing these and then getting the answer (especially because the answer is -2^49(97!) and I have no idea how the factorial gets worked in.

2. Relevant equations

y1 - y0 = m(x1 - x0)

3. The attempt at a solution

Finding the derivative and subbing in x = 1 gives a slope of 5 at the point specified, which means m = -1/5. When solved this gives x = -10, however the correct answer is apparently -4.

This site is a godsend.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
tiny-tim
Jun22-11, 05:00 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,160
Hi StopWatch!
Quote Quote by StopWatch View Post
1. The line perpendicular to the curve y = 2x^3 - x^2 + x - 3 at the point (1, -1) will intersect the x-axis at what point?

Finding the derivative and subbing in x = 1 gives a slope of 5 at the point specified, which means m = -1/5.
Yes, but how did you then get -10 starting from x = 1, y = -1?
tiny-tim
Jun22-11, 05:09 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
2. f(x) = |x^2 - 5| - x, for all x. Let g = f(f(f(x))), find g'(2). I tried just subbing in 2x - 1, the first derivative
But sometimes it's -2x - 1, isn't it?
3. If f(x) = ln(2X^2 + x - 1) - ln(x+1) find the 98th derivative at (1/2 + sqrt(2)/2). I know that the derivative simplifies to 2(2x - 1) and the 2nd derivative to -2/(2x-1)^2 and the 3rd to -8(2x-1)/2x-1)^4 but I always have a hard time generalizing these and then getting the answer (especially because the answer is -2^49(97!) and I have no idea how the factorial gets worked in.
Hint: what's the nth derivative of 1/x ?

StopWatch
Jun22-11, 09:22 PM
Derivatives: Composites, normal lines, n-th derivatives and more.

Is the nth derivative (n!)x^-n? Does that make sense. Sorry for leaving for so long I had class. I hope someone's around though, the test is tomorrow morning and I have a ton of questions. I wish professors posted solutions to past tests. I redid the algebra and got 10 by the way y (which is zero when the x axis is intercepted) + 1 = 5(x - 1), so 0 = 5x -2 = 2/5 somehow I really screwed that up, wow.

It can be negative, but we're subbing in when x = 2 so those cases don't matter, or at least that's my logic. My main concern is about how to actually go about plugging into the composite like that.

I do have a new question as well though: The line perpendicular to x^3 - 2x + 1 at (2, 5) will intersect the x-axis at what point? I get (y-5) = 10(x-2) which gives me -15/10 for the x value of the tangent. I might just be really rushed in my thinking right now I'd really appreciate any help at all.
StopWatch
Jun22-11, 09:53 PM
Anyone around?
tiny-tim
Jun23-11, 04:17 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Hi StopWatch!

(just got up )
Is the nth derivative (n!)x^-n?
yeees, but n-1 and times (-1)n
1 = 5(x - 1), so 0 = 5x -2
nooo, 5x - 6

but anyway it's (x - 1) = -5(1)
The line perpendicular to x^3 - 2x + 1 at (2, 5) will intersect the x-axis at what point? I get (y-5) = 10(x-2)
no, the slope of the tangent line is 10, so for the perpendicular line you need -10(y-5) = (x-2)
Anyway, good luck on your test this morning!

Register to reply