I have troubles finding the limit of this piecewise function

• Thread starter El foolish Phenomeno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
El foolish Phenomeno
Homework Statement
find the domain of the piece wise function , its limit at 2, and negative infinity , positive infinity and 1/2 and find a so that the function is continuous at 2
Relevant Equations
lim f(x) when x tends to y = L
1000074956.jpg
I have troubles finding the limits at the designated points , should i only find the limit at infinity where f(x) has belongs to an interval containing inifinity? (sorry for english)
1000074958.jpg
and for the a this is what i attempted. i am unsure.

Our textbook never talks about piecewise functions and their rules. If you havd any textbook recommandations or websites videos that can help me learn more abkut the calculus of piecewise functions. i will gladly take them

Thank you for your help and your time. It's greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
El foolish Phenomeno said:
Our textbook never talks about piecewise functions and their rules. If you havd any textbook recommandations or websites videos that can help me learn more abkut the calculus of piecewise functions. i will gladly take them
:welcome:

There's no such thing as a "piecewise" function. It's just a regular function that is given by a different formula for different values of ##x##. There are, therefore, no different rules.

The key point is that the limits, continuity and differentiability of these functions may not be obvious. In general, you have to check explicitly at the points where the function's formula changes. Have you studied one-sided limits? Like ##\lim_{x \to 2^-}## and ##\lim_{x \to 2^+}##.

For the limits at ##\pm \infty## the usual definition applies. It should be clear that as ##x \to \infty## only one formula is relevant.

PeroK said:
:welcome:

There's no such thing as a "piecewise" function. It's just a regular function that is given by a different formula for different values of ##x##. There are, therefore, no different rules.

The key point is that the limits, continuity and differentiability of these functions may not be obvious. In general, you have to check explicitly at the points where the function's formula changes. Have you studied one-sided limits? Like ##\lim_{x \to 2^-}## and ##\lim_{x \to 2^+}##.

For the limits at ##\pm \infty## the usual definition applies. It should be clear that as ##x \to \infty## only one formula is relevant.
We have studied one-sided limits.

I don't know if i am getting you but from what i understand of your explanation "It should be clear that ##x \to \infty## only one formula is relevant." you meant that if x tends to +infinity i just need to study the formula defined in the interval [2, +infinity) , for negative infinity i should only use the the interval (-infinity, 1/2]. does the same logic apply to limits as tends to 2 and 1/2?

I don't know if i am getting you but from what i understand of your explanation "It should be clear that t ##x \to \infty## only one formula is relevant." you meant that if x tends to +infinity i just need to study the formula defined in the interval [2, +infinity) , for negative infinity i should only use the the interval (-infinity, 1/2].
Yes to both questions.

does the same logic apply to limits as tends to 2 and 1/2?
Not exactly. Since 1/2 and 2 are endpoints of intervals in which different formulas apply to get the two-sided limits at each of these points you'll need to determine the left- and right-side limits at each of these points, meaning that you will need to use the appropriate function formula for a left-side limit or a right-side limit.

BTW, your posted pictures are unreadable, at least by me. Your handwriting is very difficult to read, and the extremely poor lighting in the images make things worse. For reasons of legibility we discourage the use of images that show the work done.

Good. That's what you need if you have a different formula either side of a point. A limit exists iff the one-sided limits exist and are equal. That's a theorem!
I don't know if i am getting you but from what i understand of your explanation "It should be clear that ##x \to \infty## only one formula is relevant." you meant that if x tends to +infinity i just need to study the formula defined in the interval [2, +infinity) , for negative infinity i should only use the the interval (-infinity, 1/2]. does the same logic apply to limits as tends to 2 and 1/2?
Yes. You can prove these things if you know how. In general, if we are looking at the limit as ##x \to x_0##, we can assume that ##|x - x_0| < 1##, for example. That's sometimes useful.

Another example is where ##x_0 > 0##, we can assume that ##x > 0## when looking at the limit. If you are using the epsilon-delta definition, then the justification is that we can take ##\delta < x_0##. So that ##|x - x_0| < \delta \ \Rightarrow \ x > 0##. Does that make sense?

PeroK said:
Good. That's what you need if you have a different formula either side of a point. A limit exists iff the one-sided limits exist and are equal. That's a theorem!

Yes. You can prove these things if you know how. In general, if we are looking at the limit as ##x \to x_0##, we can assume that ##|x - x_0| < 1##, for example. That's sometimes useful.

Another example is where ##x_0 > 0##, we can assume that ##x > 0## when looking at the limit. If you are using the epsilon-delta definition, then the justification is that we can take ##\delta < x_0##. So that ##|x - x_0| < \delta \ \Rightarrow \ x > 0##. Does that make sense?
it's make sense , thank you

Mark44 said:
Yes to both questions.

Not exactly. Since 1/2 and 2 are endpoints of intervals in which different formulas apply to get the two-sided limits at each of these points you'll need to determine the left- and right-side limits at each of these points, meaning that you will need to use the appropriate function formula for a left-side limit or a right-side limit.

BTW, your posted pictures are unreadable, at least by me. Your handwriting is very difficult to read, and the extremely poor lighting in the images make things worse. For reasons of legibility we discourage the use of images that show the work done.
next time i will try to write everything in latex. Thanks for the help

PeroK said:

A function which has different rules ("formulas") for different input values ("different values of ##x##") is what is called a "piecewise function". In other words, a piecewise function is one which is defined by different rules for different pieces of the real number line. The term "piecewise function" is common in pre-calculus algebra (at least within the US, wherein lies most of my experience).

Likes Mark44
e_jane said:
A function which has different rules ("formulas") for different input values ("different values of ##x##") is what is called a "piecewise function". In other words, a piecewise function is one which is defined by different rules for different pieces of the real number line. The term "piecewise function" is common in pre-calculus algebra (at least within the US, wherein lies most of my experience).
My point is that is a vacuous definition that has no mathematical content. A function is a function. It should be a "function defined piecewise". Hence the OP's confusion that they are different from regular functions, with different properties.

PeroK said:
A function is a function. It should be a "function defined piecewise". Hence the OP's confusion that they are different from regular functions, with different properties.
Good point. I wish textbooks and (more) instructors took greater care on this topic, precisely to avoid that confusion.

Likes PeroK

1. How do I find the limit of a piecewise function?

To find the limit of a piecewise function, you need to evaluate the limit of each piece of the function separately. Then, you compare the limits of each piece to see if they are equal or not. If they are equal, that is the limit of the entire piecewise function. If they are not equal, the limit does not exist.

2. What should I do if the limits of the individual pieces are different?

If the limits of the individual pieces of the piecewise function are different, it means that the limit of the entire piecewise function does not exist. In this case, you can say that the limit is undefined or does not have a finite value.

3. Can I use L'Hopital's Rule to find the limit of a piecewise function?

Yes, you can use L'Hopital's Rule to find the limit of a piecewise function. However, you need to apply the rule separately to each piece of the function and then compare the results to determine the overall limit of the piecewise function.

4. What is the importance of continuity in finding the limit of a piecewise function?

Continuity is important in finding the limit of a piecewise function because if the function is not continuous at a certain point, the limit may not exist at that point. To ensure that the limit exists, the function must be continuous at the point where you are evaluating the limit.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when finding the limit of a piecewise function?

One special case to consider when finding the limit of a piecewise function is when the function has a jump discontinuity at a certain point. In this case, the limit from the left and the limit from the right may be different, and the overall limit may not exist at that point.