Vector Problem - is this even solvable?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving cross product and dot product rules. The problem is essentially a set of simultaneous equations, which can be solved by separating the two components of each vector. The values for a and b are constants that multiply the vectors A and B, respectively. The conversation includes discussions about solving the problem by hand or using calculators/computers, and ultimately confirms the correct solution.
The_Chromer

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8599/physicsks.png

Homework Equations

I'm considering cross product and dot product rules, yet I don't know where to begin with this one.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two pages of scratch paper that is littered with failed attempts to solve the problem.

-There are no values for a or b given.
-Is there even enough information to solve these problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
this is basically a set of 2X2 simultaneous equation, which you can do by seperating the two components of each vector

Hint: a and b are constants which multiply the vectors A and B, respectively. There is no implied dot or cross product in the problem statement as shown.

I think I'm on the right track... thanks guys. Can you confirm if this is heading in the correct direction?

a<81,-73>+b<-79,49>+<60,85>=<0,0>

So,

81a-79b+60=0
-73a+49b+85=0

?

yup :)

These numbers are ugly... mind sticking around until I work it out? :)

Still haven't figured it out :/

Last edited:
do you have to solve it by hand? or are you allowed to use calculators/computers?

Even if I solve it, I still think there's something going wrong... I'll use a computer. I just tried doing it with matrices, lol.

you can always substitute your answers back into the question and see if the identity holds, faster and simpler than rechecking all your steps

You're right - I have new values for a and b

a=5.520297
b=6.489422

Pretty sure I got it! Thank you for your help!

glad to help :)

It was correct - my online homework thing accepted it, lol. The algebra was just a little ambiguous.

1. What is a vector problem?

A vector problem is a mathematical or scientific problem that involves the use of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. These problems can involve manipulating, adding, subtracting, or analyzing vectors in order to solve for a desired outcome.

2. How do I know if a vector problem is solvable?

In order for a vector problem to be solvable, it must have all the necessary information and variables given. This includes the magnitude and direction of all vectors involved, as well as any relevant equations or formulas. Without this information, it may not be possible to solve the problem.

3. What are some common techniques for solving vector problems?

Some common techniques for solving vector problems include using vector addition and subtraction, breaking vectors into their component parts, using trigonometric functions, and applying the Pythagorean theorem. It is also important to draw accurate vector diagrams and use proper vector notation.

4. Can a vector problem have multiple solutions?

Yes, it is possible for a vector problem to have multiple solutions. This can occur when there are different combinations of vectors that can result in the same magnitude and direction. In these cases, it is important to carefully consider the given information and use critical thinking to choose the most appropriate solution.

5. Are there any real-life applications of vector problems?

Yes, vector problems have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, calculating the velocity and direction of an airplane or calculating the force needed to move an object at a specific angle both involve vector problems. Understanding and solving vector problems is crucial for many scientific and technological advancements.