How to determine the direction of the E-field of an EM wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a wave vector hitting a plain boundary between water and air at an angle α1 and the direction of the electrical field amplitude. The conversation also mentions the relationship between the magnetic and electrical field, and the correct order of the cross product to determine the direction of the electrical field. The conversation concludes with a discussion about the application of the right hand rule to determine the direction of the electrical field in relation to the magnetic field and wave vector.
Luk

Homework Statement

Consider a wave vector which hits a plain boundary between water and air. The wave vector hits the boundary with an angle α1 measured from the vertical axis. The magnetic field amplitude has a y-component only. Also, notice: The z-axis is the horizontal axis, the x-axis is the vertical axis and the y-axis is the axis that goes into the paper. The question is, in what direction does the electrical field amplitude point?
The wave vector has components $$ \vec{k} = \begin{array}{c}\sin(\alpha_1)\\0\\-\cos(\alpha_1)\end{array} $$

Homework Equations

Well I know that the magnetic and the electrical field are both perpendicular to each other and to the wave vector. I also know that $$\vec{H} = 1/\eta * \vec{e_k} \times \vec{E} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that, maybe, this equation holds: $$ \vec{E} = \eta * \vec{e_k} \times \vec{H} $$
But I'm not sure about the correct order within the cross product. So it could also be this: $$ \vec{E} = \eta * \vec{H} \times \vec{e_k} $$
I simply don't know.

Physics news on Phys.org
The order of the cross product is such that ##\vec{E}\times\vec{H}## points in the direction of ##\hat{e}_k##.

right. Well since H points in the positive y-direction, is the cross product then $$ \begin{array}{c}-\sin(\alpha_e)\\0\\-\cos(\alpha_e)\end{array} $$ ?

Luk said:
... is the cross product then ...
Which cross product is this? Do you mean the electric field? It is best to make a drawing showing the three principal axes, the k-vector and the H-vector. Add to this drawing the E-vector in such a way that ##\vec{E}\times\vec{H}## points in the direction of ##\hat{e}_k##. Then look at the drawing and find the components of the E-vector.

Ok. Well, here is my gemoetric solution and how I choose the cross product. I hope it is readable:
.. wait. How can I upload a photo ?

allright, should be uploaded. You find the images at the end of this page

IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG

So, what's confusing me is: This answer appears to be correct. But as you can see on the last page, the cross product of E x H does NOT yield a vector in k-direction, but in negative k-direction. So, WTF ?

It seems you have applied the right hand rule incorrectly. If you use this definition of the rhr and your sketch, you should have index finger along E, middle finger along H then the thumb along k is opposite to what you have drawn. Now the directions of H and k are given, so you need to redraw your E-vector.

Right_hand_rule.png

1. What is the direction of the E-field in an EM wave?

The direction of the E-field in an EM wave is perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation.

2. How can I determine the direction of the E-field in an EM wave?

The direction of the E-field can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the wave's propagation and your fingers will curl in the direction of the E-field.

3. Does the direction of the E-field change as the EM wave travels?

No, the direction of the E-field remains constant as the EM wave travels through space.

4. What factors can affect the direction of the E-field in an EM wave?

The direction of the E-field can be affected by the polarization of the EM wave, the nature of the medium it is traveling through, and the presence of external electric or magnetic fields.

5. Can the direction of the E-field be measured?

Yes, the direction of the E-field can be measured using various instruments such as a dipole antenna or an electric field probe.