Energy from matter-matter annihilation (relation to Dark Matter)

by Schreiberdk
Tags: annihilation, antimatter, dark matter, matter, wimp
Schreiberdk
Jul16-11, 04:18 PM
P: 93
Hi PF

Would it be theoretically possible to create energy (for example photons) from matter-matter annihilation (not using anti-matter), so that we could create a powerplant based on this, without the need of producing anti-matter for the energy production?

I know that Dark Matter WIMP's are good candidates for such a powerplant, since the neutralino is it's own anti-particle. Now if our universe is dominated by Dark Matter, and the neutralino is it's own anti-particle, how come all the Dark Matter just does not annihilate on its self, and cease into existance? If this is not that case (as observation states it is, since we observe a candidate for Dark Matter), then this would not be a good source for the powerplant, so what other possibilities does one have?

\Schreiber
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
ZapperZ
Jul17-11, 06:09 AM
Mentor
P: 28,804
Can you show me an example of a matter-matter annihilation, both the physics supporting such a phenomenon, and experiments that indicate that this might be possible? Note that what is done at the LHC (proton-proton collision) has NEVER been referred to as matter-matter annihilation. The physics is different than what we refer to when we deal with matter-antimatter annihilation. So this collision is not an example.

Zz.
Schreiberdk
Jul17-11, 06:56 AM
As an example, I'll use Dark matter WIMP's (which are most simply refered to as Neutralino's (neutral Majorana fermion)), which can also be seen in this paper

http://iopscience.iop.org/1742-6596/..._4_042005..pdf

ZapperZ
Jul17-11, 07:03 AM
Mentor

Energy from matter-matter annihilation (relation to Dark Matter)

Er... OK. If this is your example of "matter-matter" annihilation, then maybe you need to wait a while for this to be established, both in terms of the physics AND empirical verification, before extrapolating it into an energy source. And this is BEFORE one actually discusses the feasibility of (i) trying to capture such particles and direct them to collider and (ii) trying to get enough luminosity to actually make for a more than breakeven energy production (i.e. the economics).

Zz.
Schreiberdk
Jul17-11, 08:16 AM
Well I was hoping that someone might know another example of this phenomenom (other than in Dark Matter) :)
Vanadium 50
Jul17-11, 04:05 PM
Mentor
P: 15,608
Even if you could magically turn DM into energy, there's not enough of it around to make a difference. If you could collect ALL the DM in the Earth, and turn it into electricity, it would power the world for maybe a week.
Schreiberdk
Jul17-11, 05:02 PM
But does any other particles have properties that would allow for matter-matter annihilation (supersymmetric, ordinary or hypothesized particles)? Or could they be sort of "stripped" for all properties, so that only the energy would be left, and annihilation then would be possible?
Vanadium 50
Jul18-11, 05:14 PM
Mentor
P: 15,608
Anything else you would have to make, and you could not get any more energy out than the energy you put in.
Dropout
Jul23-11, 09:13 AM
P: 53
Can fermions be transformed into bosoms?
Burnerjack
Oct15-11, 01:04 PM
P: 7
Everybody understands deriving energy from matter via E=mc2. Has matter ever been created out energy by Man? I've often thought this is how a singularity condenses into matter, explaining the BB. I do understand this is a supposition, though.
AdrianTheRock
Oct16-11, 04:27 PM
P: 136
Quote Quote by Dropout View Post
Assuming you meant "...bosons" (picks self up off floor after riotous laughter!) - yes, this happens whenever an electron and positron annihilate into a pair of gamma rays (photons).
ZapperZ
Oct16-11, 04:38 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Burnerjack View Post
Everybody understands deriving energy from matter via E=mc2. Has matter ever been created out energy by Man? I've often thought this is how a singularity condenses into matter, explaining the BB. I do understand this is a supposition, though.
Please look up, for example, pair production.

Zz.
PAllen
Oct16-11, 05:33 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,862
Quote Quote by Dropout View Post
Bosoms are made of fermions (as far as non-virtual constituents goes).

Register to reply