Free falling object and tension on rope

In summary, the conversation delves into the calculation of force exerted on a rope when a mass is dropped and stopped by the rope. Factors such as the rope's elasticity, coefficient of elasticity, and stretchability are discussed. It is suggested to consider the kinetic energy of the mass and the work done by the rope to find the maximum force exerted. However, the situation becomes more complicated for longer and heavier ropes due to traveling waves of force and reflections. Ultimately, it is recommended to consult the manufacturer's data for the rope's strength and experimental setup for a more accurate calculation.
Bucephalus01
Hi

I'm wondering, if I had a mass of 10kg and I dropped it 10 metres, how would I work out how much force is exerted on a rope?

Thanks
David.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming you mean a rope that will suddenly stop the mass after a 10m fall?

You can work out how much energy will be dissipated by the rope when it stops the mass by considering the kinetic energy of the mass at the time of stopping. But the detailed force as a function of time will depend strongly on e.g. how flexible the rope is.

A small force if the rope behaves as a rubber band, and a very large force if it behavious like a steel wire.

In the "idealised" limit where the rope is completely stiff, i.e. cannot stretch at all, the force will be infinite for an infinitely short time.

torquil said:
But the detailed force as a function of time will depend strongly on e.g. how flexible the rope is.

SO I think you're saying that the rope would have some kind of coefficient of elasticity or something. So where would I find the kind of formula that I'm looking for to find this out?
Let's just say I know the coefficient or, I can work out how much the rope stretches before it breaks.

David.

Bucephalus01 said:
SO I think you're saying that the rope would have some kind of coefficient of elasticity or something. So where would I find the kind of formula that I'm looking for to find this out?
Let's just say I know the coefficient or, I can work out how much the rope stretches before it breaks.

Classifying the rope by a single coefficient is probably quite a simplification. For example, the same rope might be able to pull a force F for a time T without measureable damage, but a larger force G > F for a shorter time S < T. Of course, you probably want to stay well within the accepted range for you force, and this range is hopefully determined by the manufacturer with a large safety margin.

If you know the coefficient of elastiticy for you rope for small streches, you will be able to model the situation by treating the rope as a spring with a given spring constant using Hookes law for a spring. But this is probably not a very good model for the rope, perhaps apart from very small amount of stretch if you are lucky. I'm sure a much better model involving several coefficients can be constructed if you have this data available for you rope.

When it starts to break you are getting into some pretty complicated phenomena, which would be very difficult to model. The manufacturer should perhaps provide experimental data on how much on average the rope can be stretched for different amounts of time, and the resulting damage to the rope in each case.

But it is interesting: Consider a rope that can slowly lift a mass M, but doesn't stretch very much. Then consider a more flexible rope which is only able to slowly lift a mass M/2. There might be situations in which the more rugged rope will break, but the other rope won't. Because the "impact force", subjected to the more flexible rope are much smaller, e.g. in your proposed situation.

I think your best bet is to determine the exact experimental setup that the manufacturer has used to determine the strength of the rope, and see if you can related this to your situation. When it comes to ropes that are used in serious applications, I'm sure they provide data for some sort of "static strength" and some sort of strength in situations where the force is sudden.

Yeah you're probably right. I didn't realize it was this complicated to be honest.
Thanks for your replies.
David.

If you ignore the mass of the rope and assume it stretches a small amount compared with the distance the mass falls, and assume the rope remains within its elastic limit, you can answer this by finding the work done to stretch the rope when it stops the mass.

Kinetic energy of the mass = Wh where W is the weight and h is the distance it falls
Work done by the rope = Fs/2 where F is the maximum force and s is the amount it stretches

so F = 2Wh/s.

For a long heavy rope the situation is more complicated, because there will be axial traveling waves of force (or stress) moving along the rope at a finite speed and being reflected from both ends, and it's not "obvious" where or when the maximum force will occur along the length of the rope.

Thanks, that's an awesome response.
Cheers.
David.

1. What is a free falling object?

A free falling object is an object that is accelerating towards the ground solely due to the force of gravity. It experiences no other external forces and its motion can be described using the equations of motion for constant acceleration.

2. How does the weight of a free falling object affect its acceleration?

The weight of a free falling object, which is the force of gravity acting on it, determines its acceleration. Heavier objects will accelerate faster towards the ground than lighter objects due to the greater force of gravity acting on them.

3. What is tension on a rope?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a rope or string when it is pulled tight by forces acting on either end. In the case of a free falling object, the tension on the rope is the force that is pulling the object towards the ground.

4. How does the tension on a rope change as a free falling object accelerates?

As a free falling object accelerates towards the ground, the tension on the rope increases. This is because the object's weight, which is the force causing it to accelerate, is being transmitted through the rope and pulling it tighter.

5. Can the tension on a rope ever be greater than the weight of a free falling object?

No, the tension on a rope can never be greater than the weight of a free falling object. This is due to the fact that the tension on the rope is caused by the object's weight, so it can never exceed it. However, the tension can be equal to the weight if the object is in a state of free fall with no air resistance.