Register to reply

Dot product (scalar product) of 2 vectors: ABcos[itex]\theta[/itex]

by LearninDaMath
Tags: abcostheta, product, scalar, vectors
Share this thread:
LearninDaMath
Jan3-12, 07:14 PM
P: 300

How, precisely, do you get/derive the Bcosθ term?

Is it simply [Cosθ=A/B] --> [BCosθ = A] ? It can't be that simple because then how is the extra length of vector A fit into [*A*Bcosθ]? I feel pretty confused as to what is going on here. To summerize, A x B = [ABcosθ] makes little sense.. and i think that is because for one reason, i'm not sure how Bcosθ is derived. And the other reason is because I don't know where they get the A variable either. Just can't seem to see what's going on here.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Study links polar vortex chills to melting sea ice
Lab unveil new nano-sized synthetic scaffolding technique
Cool calculations for cold atoms: New theory of universal three-body encounters
elfmotat
Jan3-12, 07:34 PM
P: 260
How does this work for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_pro...interpretation
LearninDaMath
Jan3-12, 07:56 PM
Quote Quote by elfmotat View Post
Wow, that looks a little more complex than I thought it would be. I thought it was something much more straight forward. I'll have to do some further self study for a little while and get back to you on what I was able to figure out. At worst, I hope to at least come back with a more specific question. At best, I'll be able to figure it out. Thanks.

LearninDaMath
Jan9-12, 07:22 PM
Dot product (scalar product) of 2 vectors: ABcos[itex]\theta[/itex]

Figured it out, this makes perfect sense now. However I have another vector question, but unrelated to this one, so I'll start a new thread for it.

Register to reply