Register to reply

Can expansion be due to large-scale curvature?

by claycravens
Tags: accleration, curvature, expansion, universe
Share this thread:
claycravens
Jan16-12, 01:57 PM
P: 1
I wanted to say I love the posts on this Cosmology forum - very good reads.

My question is whether there is enough to large-scale curvature alone to cause the expansion of the universe as we measure it? Why can't galaxies accelerating away from us be moving in curved space?

I agree with the idea of infinite matter-energy density at some time in the past and also with inflation. I believe I understand homogeneity and isotropy.

The question in part is whether large-scale curvature satisfactory to move galaxies in ever increasing velocities with further distances would be consistent with observations like COBE data and also would it be symmetrical.

Clay Cravens
713 858 2724
Phys.Org News Partner Space news on Phys.org
Chilly end for sex geckos sent into space by Russia
Memory reformat planned for Opportunity Mars rover
Magnetar discovered close to supernova remnant Kesteven 79
zhermes
Jan16-12, 08:35 PM
P: 1,261
Expansion isn't due to 'curvature', per se. Curvature is defined at a point (or region) of spacetime, while expansion is the behavior of curvature over time---the 'velocity' of the curvature, if you will.
Accelerated expansion is a level further away from curvature itself, its like the 'acceleration' of the curvature (again, a loose metaphor) and requires a driving force beyond the curvature itself.
But galaxies certainly are moving in curved space.
Chalnoth
Jan17-12, 01:09 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 4,805
Quote Quote by zhermes View Post
Expansion isn't due to 'curvature', per se. Curvature is defined at a point (or region) of spacetime, while expansion is the behavior of curvature over time---the 'velocity' of the curvature, if you will.
Accelerated expansion is a level further away from curvature itself, its like the 'acceleration' of the curvature (again, a loose metaphor) and requires a driving force beyond the curvature itself.
But galaxies certainly are moving in curved space.
Actually, it's entirely the other way around. The expansion of space is quite precisely and accurately described as space-time curvature. It is not, however, spatial curvature. The spatial curvature of our observable universe is very close to zero. But it does have space-time curvature, and that manifests itself as expansion.

zhermes
Jan17-12, 12:55 PM
P: 1,261
Can expansion be due to large-scale curvature?

Yeah, @Chalnoth is definitely correct; not sure what I was thinking on that one...

Register to reply