Phase diagram H2O saturation pressure

In summary, the conversation is discussing a textbook example where 2 kg of water at 200 C and 300 kPa is contained in a piston cylinder assembly and is heated at constant pressure to 400 C. The change in volume, internal energy, and enthalpy of the water for this process are to be determined. The question arises about why the process must occur in the superheated region rather than the compressed liquid region, and the answer is that this is specifically for water and other substances may behave differently. The pressure and temperature given in the problem can only correspond to one point on the p-v diagram, as shown by the left end of the blue line in the attached figure.
xzibition8612

Homework Statement

Suppose 2 kg of H2O at 200 C and 300 kPa are contained in a weighted piston cylinder assembly. As a result of heating at constant pressure, the temperature of the H2O increases to 400 C. Determine the change in volume, the change in internal energy, and the change in enthalpy of the H2O for this process.

Homework Equations

By consulting water table, at 200 C the pressure of H2O is 1.5536 MPa.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a textbook example, so the answer is already known. However, my question is in regards to the concept.

I have attached a figure, and everything in it is correct EXCEPT the brown line with a arrow in the left side (this is my own work). Everything else is copied direct from the book. The blue arrow is the actual process of this problem.

By consulting the table, 300 kPa is obviously smaller than the saturation pressure of 1.5 MPa, and since we know Pressure is constant, this process must proceed at a pressure lower than P saturation. My question is why can't this process occur in the compressed liquid region (brown arrow)? Why the superheated region? Obviously since this is H2O, I know that's physically not possible at 200 C, but what if the substance were to be changed into something I don't know about? For example if a unknown chemical substance was used instead, and the only thing I can go by to determine its phase is the pressure difference, how do I determine whether it is in the super-heated vapor region or compressed liquid region?

Attachments

• figure.jpg
    figure.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 451
Physics news on Phys.org
You're told it's water. Believe it! Other substances behave differently, some extremely differently, and you'd need separate p-v diagrams or steam tables for all of them.

With 2kg of water at p = 300 kPa and T = 200C there is one and only one place on your p-v diagram where your point 1 could be. That is as shown by the left end of your blue line.

(Replace v by V = 2000v to get your actual volume on your p-v chart, then it's obvious).

I don't understand your reference to 'saturation pressure'.

1. What is a phase diagram?

A phase diagram is a graphical representation of the physical states of a substance (solid, liquid, and gas) at different temperatures and pressures. It shows the conditions under which a substance can exist in each state.

2. What is H2O saturation pressure?

H2O saturation pressure is the pressure at which a substance (in this case, water) can exist simultaneously in its liquid and gaseous phases at a particular temperature. It is also known as the vapor pressure.

3. How is a phase diagram for H2O saturation pressure created?

A phase diagram for H2O saturation pressure is created by plotting pressure on the y-axis and temperature on the x-axis. The graph will have three regions representing the solid, liquid, and gas phases, and the lines separating these regions are called phase boundaries. The point where all three phase boundaries meet is the triple point, which represents the temperature and pressure at which all three phases can coexist.

4. How does pressure affect the phase diagram for H2O?

Pressure has a direct effect on the phase diagram for H2O. As pressure increases, the melting point and boiling point of water also increase. This results in a shift of the phase boundaries towards higher temperatures and pressures. The phase diagram is also affected by the shape and properties of the container in which the substance is contained.

5. What is the significance of a phase diagram for H2O saturation pressure?

A phase diagram for H2O saturation pressure is significant in understanding the behavior of water under different temperature and pressure conditions. It is also useful in various industrial processes such as distillation and refrigeration, where precise control of temperature and pressure is crucial for the efficient use of water. Additionally, phase diagrams can also provide insights into the physical properties of a substance and its potential applications.