Rick Santorum's candidacy ...

by ThomasT
Tags: candidacy, rick, santorum
mathwonk
Jan13-12, 12:29 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,428
Out and out bigots always have a good chance to win a few contests, but hopefully not the big one.
ThomasT
Jan13-12, 01:13 AM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by mathwonk View Post
Out and out bigots always have a good chance to win a few contests, but hopefully not the big one.
I don't think that geeky extremist religious fanaticism implies out and out bigotry. Unless it does. In which case, that's what I think. But I'm not sure.
daveb
Jan13-12, 07:18 AM
P: 927
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
I don't think that geeky extremist religious fanaticism implies out and out bigotry. Unless it does. In which case, that's what I think. But I'm not sure.
I would agree. Believe anything you want, but I don't consider it bigotry. Acting on it is bigotry (imo).
mathwonk
Jan16-12, 11:07 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,428
Gee, I guess I already said this about rick santorum. but i am attracted here again today on MLK's birthday. I marched in montgomery with MLK and saw the confederate flag flying over the statehouse in montgomery alabama in 1965. I was threatened by bigoted scum in birmingham on my way home. I never forgot it.

Just few years ago we had another march here in Georgia when it was publicized that we had a county here which had not allowed black residents for about 100 years. The lady I rented from in Decatur in 1984 confided to me when we moved, and a black couple viewed the house, that she was afraid renting to them would upset the white people across the street. Today I am embarrassed that I did not inform the authorities, or at least the black couple, of that conversation.

to me rick santorum is an out and out total bigot, and it embarrasses and scares me that this kind of creepy person can be seriously considered as a candidate for president of the USA in 2012. There is nothing religious about denying rights to citizens. Jesus was not a bigot, he consorted with everyone, and sinners more than self righteous people.

By the way Herman Cain is about as bad as a candidate. The republican party is currently a ridiculous joke, reaching out for anyone, no matter how ludicrously unqualified, to be an opponent to the current democratic president.

I won't even discuss Newt.
russ_watters
Jan16-12, 11:14 PM
Mentor
P: 22,008
Can you say why you think he's a bigot?
Number Nine
Jan16-12, 11:34 PM
P: 771
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
Can you say why you think he's a bigot?
I would imagine that mathwonk is referring to Santorum's open disgust with gay people, and his habit of attributing sensational danger to them as a social group (for instance, it's become fashionable among a number of figures within the religious right, and a number of candidates, to suggest that gays are in some way responsible for the current economic crisis).
Jimmy Snyder
Jan17-12, 08:07 AM
P: 2,163
I'm not quoting this to criticize Santorum, but to criticize Yahoo.com which seems to be on a mission. Nearly double? Does this mean he's going to get nearly 200% of the votes? You can read the entire article in a few seconds. It shows an amazing lack of depth.

Quote Quote by David Pennock
Santorum immediately enjoyed a small but significant boost in the prediction markets, nearly doubling his chance of winning the South Carolina Republican primary next Saturday from about 2.5 percent to almost 6 percent.
Yahoo.com
ThomasT
Jan17-12, 02:23 PM
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
I'm not quoting this to criticize Santorum, but to criticize Yahoo.com which seems to be on a mission. Nearly double? Does this mean he's going to get nearly 200% of the votes? You can read the entire article in a few seconds. It shows an amazing lack of depth.

Yahoo.com
I agree with your assessment, except that I'd substitute something like 'ridiculous' for 'amazing' (wrt the lack of depth). Basically saying the same thing, but in a more pejorative way.
ThomasT
Jan17-12, 02:26 PM
Quote Quote by Number Nine View Post
I would imagine that mathwonk is referring to Santorum's open disgust with gay people, and his habit of attributing sensational danger to them as a social group (for instance, it's become fashionable among a number of figures within the religious right, and a number of candidates, to suggest that gays are in some way responsible for the current economic crisis).
In that case then, yes, it would seem that geeky extremist religious fanaticism does imply out and out bigotry.
turbo
Jan24-12, 07:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Santorum wants to deny abortion rights in all cases. He says that rape-victims should just get over it and make the best of it. What a monster.
Greg Bernhardt
Jan24-12, 08:55 PM
Admin
P: 8,542
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Santorum wants to deny abortion rights in all cases. He says that rape-victims should just get over it and make the best of it. What a monster.
link?
Evo
Jan24-12, 09:12 PM
Mentor
P: 25,961
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
link?
He's also against contraception and pre-marital sex.

Rick Santorum On Opposition To Abortion In Cases Of Rape: 'Make The Best Out Of A Bad Situation'
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1224624.html
turbo
Jan24-12, 11:15 PM
PF Gold
Thanks, Evo. I thought that would have been all over the net, but should have linked it.

Sorry, Greg. Rules are rules, and especially in the political vein, I should have been more meticulous.
russ_watters
Jan25-12, 12:01 PM
Mentor
You still haven't substantiated the "just get over it" part.

And everyone is entitled to their opinion, but calling him a "monster" for saying people should make the best of a bad situation seems pretty far out there to me.
turbo
Jan25-12, 12:17 PM
PF Gold
Does this satisfy you?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-pregnant.html

'And so to embrace her and to love her and to support her and get her through this very difficult time, I've always, you know, I believe and I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created - in the sense of rape - but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you.
'As you know, we have to, in lots of different aspects of our life we have horrible things happen. I can't think of anything more horrible, but nevertheless, we have to make the best out of a bad situation and I would make the argument that that is making the best.'

russ_watters
Jan25-12, 12:33 PM
Mentor
No, it doesn't. He didn't say it, did he?
turbo
Jan25-12, 12:39 PM
PF Gold
Here your go: from a Christian site.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/sa...se-life-67816/
russ_watters
Jan25-12, 01:00 PM
Mentor
Are you being purposely dense? You're completely ignoring what it is you need to substantiate. Again:

1. You: "He says...make the best of it."
Santorum: "make the best of a bad situation"
Conclusion: Close enough to an exact quote (you didn't use quotes - you paraphrased).

2. You: "He says...just get over it"
Santorum: .....?
Conclusion: You need to substantiate that Santorum said something approaching "just get over it".

Re-linking the first quote over and over again does not substantiate the second one!

Register to reply