Eigen-Wilkins mechanism

by Amok
Tags: eigenwilkins, mechanism
Share this thread:
Amok
Jan28-12, 08:36 AM
P: 255
Hi,

Can anyone help derive the rate law for the Eigen wilkins reaction mechanism? The derivation in the wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eigen-Wilkins_Mechanism) is confusing, but the rate law is correct. I can't figure out if they make a "steady-state" approximation or a pre-equilibrium approximation, but I'm pretty sure it's both (weird).
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Moving single cells around?accurately and cheaply
Laser optical tweezers reveal how malaria parasites infect red blood cells (w/ Video)
The difficult question of Clostridium difficile
Ygggdrasil
Jan28-12, 09:20 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,384
The equation looks very similar to the Michaelis-Menten (MM) equation used in biochemistry if you substitute [Y] for [S], [M]tot for [E]0, and KE for 1/KM (see equation 11 from the link below). The MM equation is similarly derived by assuming a mechanism whereby two molecules form an initial encounter complex that converts to product in the rate limiting step. The MM equation can be derived solely by using the steady-state approximation, for example, see the following site for a derivation: http://biofitweb.cox-thurmond.net/Fi...derivation.htm
Amok
Jan29-12, 03:26 AM
P: 255
I tried it and it's not exactly the same. Unfortunately I don't have access to the original article that gives the derivation, but in the abstract they say they use a pre-equilbirum. But maybe I missed something, I'll try it again.

Register to reply