Register to reply

Force and Surface Charge on Sphere

by James_1978
Tags: charge, force, sphere, surface
Share this thread:
James_1978
Feb10-12, 02:41 PM
P: 6
Hi Forum..I have an interesting physics problem I have been working on. I have come up with an answer but I hope someone will confirm my understanding. The physical model is a 1 mm diameter sphere where a gas of tritium is filled inside a CH shell of 10 microns. So the tritium has a radius of 490 microns and the remaning 10 microns is CH that encasses the tritium.

The tritium decays via beta decay where the neutron converts into a proton and emits a 5.7 keV electron and a 13.1 keV anti-neutrino. I have worked out for the 1 mm volume of tritium at 10 atms there are 1e18 molecules. Since the tritium decays it works out to ~ 4e5 (dps). I have found in the literature that most of the electrons easily pass through the CH shell. Maybe someone can confirm this?

I get a little fuzzy in thinking how many of the electrons deposit a charge on the dielectric (CH) shell. I assume that 4e5 electrons are smeared over the surface and I calculated the "work" that is used to assemble those charges. But I am not confident that is correct for my end question.

My end question is that this 1 mm charged sphere is 1mm away from a conducting plane. I am trying to estimate the force between the charged sphere and the conducting wall. I have used the CH shell as a dielectric and the tritium inside as conducting sphere (since the tritium decays into helium3). I would appreactiate any insight on my appraoch. I did come up with a force but I just am not confident I am thinking about this correctly. I will be happy to post my results if anyone is really interested.

Thanks...
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Physicists provide new insights into the world of quantum materials
Nuclear spins control current in plastic LED: Step toward quantum computing, spintronic memory, better displays

Register to reply