Register to reply

Is Eagle Scout worth it?

by Learning Curve
Tags: eagle, scout
Share this thread:
ehilge
Feb7-12, 10:26 PM
P: 161
I think earning my eagle was certainly beneficial for me. I found that its useful to have on your resume if nothing else for your first couple years of undergrad. It shows you have leadership experience even though you may not have been around campus long enough to have obtained a leadership position in a student organization. As for me, I am a senior and I still have it on my resume.

The manager who interviewed me for my first engineering internship had a couple of sons that were in scouts so it gave me a bit of an 'in' with him that I think helped. During my last interview, the interviewer made comment about me being an Eagle Scout. Basically told me that its a great thing to have. I did get that job btw. When the eagle comes up, I like to discuss how scouts really set the base for the person I've become today. This seems to work well since an interviewer then relates you with scouting ideas.

Needless to say, I didn't get either of those jobs simply because I was an eagle scout, I have plenty of other things to talk about. But when it comes down to it, the Eagle could be the thing that puts you over the top against otherwise equal competition in a tight job market.
Broccoli21
Feb8-12, 03:16 PM
P: 70
I'm in college for maths and physics, and received by Eagle at age 16. Its rather useless in my opinion. I don't see it as useful for an academic profession, and nobody really cares that you have one. It doesn't really teach you many life skills that a person with enough common sense and experience would learn, but that isn't to say that its a bad experience. I certainly had some fun getting it.

The one benefit I can see is that for a few years, there is not much else to put on a resume.
Genghisaha
Feb19-12, 02:02 PM
P: 1
I am an Eagle Scout (Class of '69) and my two sons are Eagles ('99 and '04). I have some interesting ideas for you, because I actively use my Eagle rank to my advantage. Others in this forum may not bother, or may not care, or may not have thought of it... but you should understand the true value of the accomplishment.
(1) I wear a $12 pair of Eagle Scout cuff links to every client meeting. If the clients don't know what they are, nothing happens. If they do, i.e. they just attended their nephew's Eagle Courto fo Honor, or they' are an Eagle, or their son is a Scout, then we have an instant ice-breaker and a bond we would have with nothing else. It is instant credibility for all the Scout Law stands for. Credibility leads to trust, and trust leads to business.
(2) Linked-In is kind of a Facebook for business relationships. There are a few Eagle Scout groups: Eagle Scouts in Business, Eagle Scouts in the Law, The Eagle's Nest, and others. I have received introductions and given referrals through those groups... and networking is unique there because of the element of scout trust. I can't calculate the amount of business I got from referrals from these groups, or from wearing the cuff links, but it is significant. My colleagues tell me I should wear my whole uniform to meetings!
(3) Headhunters (professionals who find jobs for you) find this achievement to be noteworthy. View this headhunter's article on line at http: // marketingheadhunter .com /2007/01 /eagle_scout.html. [copy and paste into your browser, and remove all the spaces I inserted]
(4) In 2001, while looking to hire an engineer, I got a chance to speak with the Admissions Director for Rensselear Polytechnic Institute (RPI) - arguably one of the top 5 engineering schools in the USA. She told me that in 2001 RPI accepted 23 of 23 Eagle Scout applications, "not because they could build a campfire" but because even at a young age they have proven they could set their sights on a goal, and not stop until they reached it. (my paraphrasing.) She went on to say "We want people like that."
(5) My oldest son (now 30) graduated from Law School in 2008, when the financial markets collapsed and there were virtually no jobs for lawyers in New York. He finally got an interview with a prestigious firm, and after all the candidates were interviewed, the hiring committee chair said to the partner in charge... "We'll take the Eagle Scout."
(6) Many government agencies and EVERY branch of the military gives at least one rank advancement PLUS at least one pay-grade advancement to entry level Eagle Scouts. I don't know what you will do with your physics education, but if you work for the government, this is a very big deal.
(7) Some of America's largest corporations (like, I am told, Bloomberg Financial) offer hiring preferences to otherwise qualified Eagle Scouts. Today, getting a job after college is huge, and having any kind of a preference is even bigger.
(8) Speak to adults who earned their LIFE rank, but never advanced to Eagle... you will find that decades later, this is one of their life-long regrets.
I was hoping to have 12 reasons - one for each of the points of the scout law... but I'm not that clever. So I hope these 8 make a difference in your decision. GOOD LUCK!

Register to reply