How do CAS evaluate derivatives

In summary, CAS systems and programmable calculators evaluate the derivative of a function symbolically by converting the expression into a Taylor series and then using rules for manipulating the expressions. CAS stores the information as a directed graph and uses rules such as the derivative operator D and the chain rule to simplify the expression and find the derivative. The result is typically a formula or expression that represents the derivative of the original function.
matqkks
How do CAS systems and programmable calculators evaluate the derivative of a function?
Do they use matrix representation of linear transformations?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer, but you should specify whether you are asking how they evaluate derivatives numerically or how they evaluate them symbollically. Is the result of the evaluation a formula? Or a graph? Or a numerical table?

Sorry for being vague but I meant symbolically.

I suspect that they convert whatever expression you want to differentiate into taylor series, differentiate (in the obvious way), then match the result to a taylor series that represents an elementary function and substitute back. Maybe not, but I can't imagine how else it would be done.

From what I heard CAS stores the information as a directed graph. In Mathematica you can use the FullForm command to see it directly for example
[itex]\sin(x^2)+3[/itex]
would be
Plus[3,Sin[Power[x,2]]]
It then has rules for how to manipulate these objects. So the derivative operator D (I'm assuming wrt x) interacts with Plus via the rule
D[Plus[f,g]] = Plus[D[f],D[g]]
Mathematica knows that 3 is constant and so D[3]=0. It then reduces Plus[0,?] to just ?.
So we now have
D[Sin[Power[x,2]]]
It allies its chain rule and is programmed so that D[Sin] = Cos:
Multiply[Cos[Power[x,2]],D[Power[x,2]]]
And we know that the derivative of Power[x,2] as Multiply[2,x]

1. How does CAS evaluate derivatives?

CAS (Computer Algebra System) evaluates derivatives using algorithms and rules from calculus and algebra. It uses a combination of symbolic and numeric methods to calculate the derivative of a given function.

2. What is the process for evaluating derivatives in CAS?

The process for evaluating derivatives in CAS involves first inputting the function into the system, then the system uses its rules and algorithms to manipulate the function symbolically. The system then uses numerical methods to evaluate the derivative at a specific point if needed.

3. Can CAS evaluate derivatives for any type of function?

Yes, CAS can evaluate derivatives for any type of function, including polynomials, trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, and more. However, the accuracy of the result may depend on the complexity of the function and the precision of the system.

4. How accurate are the derivative evaluations in CAS?

The accuracy of derivative evaluations in CAS depends on the precision of the system and the complexity of the function. In general, CAS can provide highly accurate results, but there may be some cases where manual calculations or other methods are needed for a more precise answer.

5. Can CAS evaluate higher-order derivatives?

Yes, CAS can evaluate higher-order derivatives, which are derivatives of derivatives. This is a useful feature for more complex functions or when solving certain mathematical problems that require multiple derivatives.