Discovering the Length of a Triangle in Thales' Time

In summary: Alexandria, the angle of elevation of the sun was 1/50th of a circle (7°12') south of the zenith on the solstice noon.
bobsmith76

Homework Statement

Screenshot2012-02-29at110930PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out how thales found the measurement of the length of this triangle without trigonometry since the sine and cosine ratios were not worked out until the 14th century I think. In any case, they certainly weren't known in thales' time. using trig the answer is rather straightforward, but without trig the only method i can think of for obtaining the length of the bottom line of a right triangle is rather crude. what thales could do is redraw the triangle on the beach since if he knew the AB length and the DAC angle he could physically draw the BAP triangle on the beach, although it would be a rather large and crude replica of the real triangle, but that's the only method i can think of.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bobsmith76! :smile:
bobsmith76 said:
I can't figure out how thales found the measurement of the length of this triangle without trigonometry since the sine and cosine ratios were not worked out until the 14th century I think.

maybe they weren't published in tables until then,

but the ancient greeks certainly knew all about similar triangles

see eg Heath's Euclid's Elements, free online at http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=hhZrpywS8ZIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=euclid+elements&hl=en :wink:

I was reading about how Eratosthenes measured the Earth and I saw the word proportionate triangles. so that's probably what he did, he reduced the height of the new triangle by 1/10th or whatever and using the pythagorean theorem he could figure out by how much he should reduce the other triangle. maybe that's what you meant by similar triangles.

bobsmith76 said:
I was reading about how Eratosthenes measured the Earth and I saw the word proportionate triangles. so that's probably what he did, he reduced the height of the new triangle by 1/10th or whatever and using the pythagorean theorem he could figure out by how much he should reduce the other triangle. maybe that's what you meant by similar triangles.

according to wikipedia, he actually measured the angle itself (presumably using some sort of enormous protractor :wink:) …
He also knew, from measurement, that in his hometown of Alexandria, the angle of elevation of the sun was 1/50th of a circle (7°12') south of the zenith on the solstice noon.​

did you look at Euclid ?:smile:

1. How did Thales discover the length of a triangle?

Thales discovered the length of a triangle by using a theorem that is now known as the Thales' theorem. This theorem states that if a point is taken on a circle and two lines are drawn from that point to the ends of a diameter, then the angle formed at the point is always a right angle. Thales used this theorem to measure the length of a triangle by constructing a right triangle with the diameter of a circle as the hypotenuse and using the other two sides to measure the length of the triangle.

2. What was the significance of Thales' discovery?

Thales' discovery of the length of a triangle was significant because it laid the foundation for modern geometry. It also helped in the development of other mathematical concepts such as the Pythagorean theorem.

3. Did Thales' method for measuring the length of a triangle have any limitations?

Yes, Thales' method had limitations as it could only be used to measure right triangles. It was also limited to measuring whole numbers as it relied on the use of a circle with a diameter of a whole number. Thales' method was later refined and expanded upon by other mathematicians.

4. How is Thales' method for measuring the length of a triangle relevant today?

Thales' method for measuring the length of a triangle is still relevant today as it forms the basis for the concept of trigonometry. The trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, and tangent are based on the ratios of the sides of a right triangle, which can be measured using Thales' method.

5. What role did Thales' discovery play in the development of mathematics?

Thales' discovery of the length of a triangle played a crucial role in the development of mathematics. It laid the foundation for the study of geometry and trigonometry, and also influenced the development of other mathematical concepts such as the concept of proof and the use of deductive reasoning in mathematics.