Register to reply

Symmetric Universe?

by toph.roshi
Tags: symmetric, universe
Share this thread:
toph.roshi
Mar4-12, 09:40 PM
P: 1
Why is it that our universe isn't perfectly symmetric? To demonstrate imagine that the 0 is the center of the universe:

abc 0 cba

Why doesn't the universe look like this?

Why isn't there another me on the equally opposite side of the universe doing the same thing as I am right now?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Exoplanet measured with remarkable precision
New star catalog reveals unexpected 'solar salad'
RXTE satellite decodes the rhythm of an unusual black hole
Chronos
Mar4-12, 10:20 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,430
Symmetry is a matter of perspective. If the universe is, as it appears to be, homogeneous and isotropic that sounds pretty symmetric to me.
Nabeshin
Mar4-12, 10:24 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,193
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
Symmetry is a matter of perspective. If the universe is, as it appears to be, homogeneous and isotropic that sounds pretty symmetric to me.
Symmetry is also related to scale. As Chronos says, the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on scales ~100Mpc, and definitely not so on scales smaller than that. If the universe were completely homogeneous and isotropic, it would be impossible for any kind of structure to exist, so an anthropic argument will lead to the conclusion that the universe cannot be completely symmetric.

DaveC426913
Mar4-12, 10:33 PM
P: 15,319
Symmetric Universe?

Quote Quote by toph.roshi View Post
Why is it that our universe isn't perfectly symmetric? To demonstrate imagine that the 0 is the center of the universe:

abc 0 cba

Why doesn't the universe look like this?
Why do you think it should? Please elaborate.

(Sounds like a question involving a Newtonian Deterministic Universe)

Register to reply