ADD? Feeling very frustrated at the moment

• Medical
  • Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moment
In summary, this person is a very passionate sophomore at a local community college with many interests. They are experiencing many difficulties recently, the main one being that they find it hard to focus when they are not really interested. They are also very skeptical of ADD and believe that it is a common problem. They are also a big believer that the most important thing for one to be successful is their perceptions, beliefs, and paradigms. However, they are starting to feel powerless and fear that their lack of consistent study will jeopardize their long-term goals.
Nano-Passion
Sorry this is a long, but I think that context is very important in this case-- or maybe its an excuse to speak my mind. This post can be summed up to the following four sentences:

[1] I'm extremely skeptical about ADD
[2] I'm plagued with inconsistent work-habits (huge spurts of study and lack of)
[3] I find it hard to concentrate when I'm not really interested
[4] My brother has schizophrenia, and I fear that ADD medication might affect me. (read paragraph 4)

A little bit about me: I'm a quite passionate sophomore at a local community college with many (probably too many) interests. I have a 3.9 gpa and I aim to do research in physics. So it doesn't really sound like I have ADD but read on..

Lately, I've been feeling very very frustrated. I sometimes have immense spurts of focus and persistence. I notice that I have this when I'm completely and utterly motivated with certain music that puts me in a particular psychological state. But most times I find myself restless if I'm not really interested, getting up often to take a break, and zoning out here and there. What makes it even more frustrating is that I am an extremely ambitious person. I feel very motivated to immerse myself in study but I can't focus unless I have a certain state of mind that is often hard to accomplish. In fact, I often feel guilty if I hang out and socialize. But even though I spend a large amount of time at home to study, I still manage to get relatively little done because I get up a lot to do other things.

I've always been very skeptical about ADD and I've always been careful to not fall into any "self-fulfilling prophecy." I'm also a very big believer that the most important thing for one to be successful is one's perceptions, beliefs, and paradigms. And I pay little to no mind of the chemistry of the brain among other things. But I've been starting to feel powerless the past few weeks. In everything I do, I try fervently to make something as interesting as possible to my brain. I always try to look at something from a different perception. But it hasn't been working so great. And I'm afraid my lack of consistent study will jeopardize my long-term goals.

As a child, I could never focus on a task for more than a few minutes. I was the kid that was always making very silly noises (somehow accidently) in the middle of the class despite multiple threats by the teacher. But growing up, things changed a lot and it became much much better.

Can taking ADD medication increase my chances of developing schizophrenia? It doesn't seem to be a genetic trait in my family, my brother is the only one known to have it. He had a deep bout of depression for a month or two before he started developing symptoms of schizophrenia. The word depression is thrown around too easily but not in this case. He wasn't doing anything for a month or two, he looked as if he had no motivation to do any activity.

And again, I'm pretty skeptical about ADD. The symptoms of ADD that I read about seem to apply to 99% of the population. But I don't know any better, and I've only recently started to consider its legitimacy.

Edit: I don't think I'm burnt out either. I like studying differential equations and other things in my free time--but when it comes to things I'm not really motivated in, I struggle to keep my focus.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Sorry, we can not give a diagnosis on the internet. Please see a doctor or psychiatrist. I'm sure they can help you.

Good luck!

What is Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)?

ADD is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by difficulty paying attention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity. It is also sometimes referred to as ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).

What causes ADD?

The exact cause of ADD is not known, but research suggests that it is likely a combination of genetic, environmental, and neurological factors. It is not caused by poor parenting, too much sugar, or lack of discipline.

How is ADD diagnosed?

ADD is typically diagnosed by a healthcare professional, such as a psychiatrist or psychologist, through a comprehensive evaluation that includes a physical exam, review of medical history, and assessment of symptoms. The DSM-5 criteria is often used for diagnosis.

What are the treatment options for ADD?

Treatment for ADD may include a combination of medication, therapy, and lifestyle changes. Stimulant medications, such as Ritalin and Adderall, are commonly prescribed to help manage symptoms. Therapy, such as cognitive behavioral therapy, can help individuals develop coping strategies and improve behavior. Lifestyle changes, such as regular exercise and a healthy diet, can also be beneficial.

Can ADD be outgrown?

ADD is a lifelong condition, but symptoms may change or improve with age. Many individuals with ADD learn to manage their symptoms and lead successful lives. However, it is important to continue managing symptoms and seeking support, as ADD can still impact daily functioning and relationships.