Register to reply

Interacting systems and relaxation times

Share this thread:
xlines
Apr15-12, 01:35 PM
P: 96
I got a question I'm not sure how to state precisely or is it even valid. Any help is most welcomed.

I stripped the question of all details because I wanted to emphasize my problem, but should someone think they would bring any clarity (it is a solid state problem) I'll present them.

Ok, let say I have two interacting systems. One of them is a system (S1) in a thermodynamical equilibrium and the other is a well defined classical system (S2). I know how to derive S2 from microcanonical state of S1 and how surrounding of a S1 depends on S2. It is very unclear how to combine these two mathematically directly but here is a kick - I THINK that S2 is relaxing much more slowly than S1. So, I was thinking of a iterative approach: to run a Monte Carlo to solve S1, then derive S2, then adjust conditions of S1 based on the new state of S2 and rerun MC etc. So my questions would be: is this approach valid if I assume that S1 is changing adiabatically? Is there a practical way to verify adiabatic change? Is there any circumstance where calculation like this is valid? It feels that if the S2 can't kick S1 out of equilibrium, then I got a powerful edge to clear this problem up - but is this true?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond

Register to reply