Center of mass system of two interacting identical Fermions

In summary: I don't understand how that would work.The first way is correct.The second way is incorrect.The equation you wrote here is not complete, you seem to be missing some state somewhere. If ##P_+## is a projector onto the states with ##s = 1##, then ##P_+|\psi\rangle## must be a state with ##s = 1##. You can check this by applying ##S^2## to the state. If it is indeed an eigenstate of ##S^2## with ##s = 1##, then you should find that$$S^2 P_+ |\psi\rangle = s(s+1) P_
Dustgil

Homework Statement

Consider the center of mass system of two interacting fermions with spin 1/2.

a) What is the consequence of the Pauli exclusion principle on the two-particle wave function?

b)Let S1 and S2 be the spin operators of the two individual fermions. Show that the operators

[tex]P_{+/-}=(\frac{1}{2}) +/- (\frac{1}{4}) +/- S_1 \cdot S_2/\hbar^2[/tex]

are the projection operators of the triplet states and the singlet states of the spin wave functions, respectively.

c) Using the Pauli exclusion principle and the symmetry properties of the spin and relative orbital angular momentum L, find the allowed values of L for any bound triplet state of the two-particle system.

d) Again using the Pauli exclusion principle and the symmetry properties of the space coordinate, show that the particles in a triplet state can never scatter through an angle of 90 degrees in their center of mass system.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand part a. Since the particles are fermions, the total state must be antisymmetric under the exchange operator. Since the singlet configuration is antisymmetric, the corresponding space wavefunction must be symmetric, and vice versa for the triplet states since they are symmetric.

part b)

The first thing I needed was the dot product of S1 and S2.

[tex]S^2=(S_1 + S_2) \dot (S_1 + S_2) = S_{1}^{2}+S_{2}^{2}+2S_{1}\cdot S_{2}[/tex]
[tex]S_{1}\cdot S_{2}=\frac{1}{2}(S^{2}-S_{1}^{2}-S_{2}^{2})[/tex]

I also know the P needs to be applied to the states 1,-1 | 1,0 | 0,0 | 1,1.

I can just plug the found dot product into P and apply P to each state to see what I get, and this is where I'm stuck...I believe I can break P up and apply each of the terms to the state individually, but I don't know what this is, for example:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}|1,1>[/tex]

I feel like I'm not understanding something important here.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need to show is that the ##S^2## eigenvalue of ##P_\pm |\psi\rangle## is ##s(s+1)## with ##s = 1## and ##0##, respectively (i.e., eigenvalues 2 and 0), for any state ##|\psi\rangle##, that ##P_\pm^2 = P_\pm##, and that ##P_+ + P_- = 1##. (The latter should be trivial)

Also, note that the LaTeX command \pm gives ##\pm##.

Could you elaborate further on what you mean in the first sentence? I can apply the found dot product into P to get

[tex]P_{\pm}=((\frac{1}{2}) \pm (\frac{1}{4}) \pm (\frac{(S^{2}-S_{1}^{2}-S_{2}^{2})}{\hbar^{2}}))|\psi>[/tex]

but this gives me the eigenvalues of P. To find the eigenvalues of S^2, do I only look at the term containing S^2 within P?

Thanks for the heads up about \pm.

Also, a question on why we need to prove those facts. I understand [tex]P_{\pm}^{2}=P_{\pm}[/tex] as that's the definition of the projection operator. I'm unsure how the first and third requirements tie into things though.

The first requirement is that the operators project onto the correct eigenstates. The last requirement is that the spaces they project on together span the entire space. For example, you could imagine a projection operator on a single ##s = 1## state.

Dustgil said:
Could you elaborate further on what you mean in the first sentence? I can apply the found dot product into P to get

[tex]P_{\pm}=((\frac{1}{2}) \pm (\frac{1}{4}) \pm (\frac{(S^{2}-S_{1}^{2}-S_{2}^{2})}{\hbar^{2}}))|\psi>[/tex]

but this gives me the eigenvalues of P. To find the eigenvalues of S^2, do I only look at the term containing S^2 within P?

Thanks for the heads up about \pm.
The equation you wrote here is not complete, you seem to be missing some state somewhere. If ##P_+## is a projector onto the states with ##s = 1##, then ##P_+|\psi\rangle## must be a state with ##s = 1##. You can check this by applying ##S^2## to the state. If it is indeed an eigenstate of ##S^2## with ##s = 1##, then you should find that
$$
S^2 P_+ |\psi\rangle = s(s+1) P_+ |\psi\rangle = 2 P_+ |\psi\rangle.
$$

Also, next LaTeX lesson: > is a greater than sign ##>## and is typeset as a relation, adding additional space on the sides. \rangle is a delimeter that can be used for writing kets ##\rangle##.

Well, I can only think of two ways to do the dot product, and they must both be wrong. The way I thought was correct is

[tex]S^{2} = (S_{1}+S_{2})\cdot (S_{1}+S_{2})=S_{1}^{2}+S_{2}^{2}+2S_{1}\cdot S_{2}[/tex]
[tex]2S_{1}\cdot S_{2}=(S^{2}-S_{1}^{2}-S_{2}^{2})\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

The other way would be [tex]S_{1}\cdot S_{2}=S_{1x}S_{2x}+S_{1y}S_{2y}+S_{1z}S_{2z}[/tex]

But this just returns S^2 when I plug the spin matrices in...

1. What is the definition of center of mass system of two interacting identical Fermions?

The center of mass system of two interacting identical Fermions refers to the point in space where the total mass of the system can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point where the two particles have equal and opposite momentum, making the overall momentum of the system equal to zero.

2. How is the center of mass system of two interacting identical Fermions calculated?

The center of mass system can be calculated by taking the weighted average of the positions of the two particles, where the weight is given by the mass of each particle. This can be expressed mathematically as:

Center of mass = (m1x1 + m2x2) / (m1 + m2)

where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two particles, and x1 and x2 are their respective positions.

3. What is the significance of the center of mass system in the study of two interacting identical Fermions?

The center of mass system is significant because it simplifies the mathematical description of the system. By considering the system as a whole rather than two individual particles, many complex calculations can be reduced to simpler ones. Additionally, the center of mass system allows for the conservation of momentum to be easily applied.

4. Can the center of mass system be used to describe systems with more than two interacting identical Fermions?

Yes, the concept of center of mass system can be extended to systems with more than two particles. In these cases, the center of mass is calculated as the weighted average of the positions of all the particles, with each particle's mass as the weight.

5. How does the center of mass system differ for two interacting identical Fermions compared to two interacting identical Bosons?

The center of mass system for two interacting identical Bosons is calculated in the same way as for Fermions. However, there is a key difference in the behavior of the particles. Fermions have half-integer spin and follow the Pauli exclusion principle, which means two identical Fermions cannot occupy the same quantum state. On the other hand, Bosons have integer spin and do not follow the exclusion principle, allowing multiple identical Bosons to occupy the same quantum state. This results in different quantum statistical properties and behavior for the two types of particles, despite the similar calculation of the center of mass system.