Inverse functions and null set.

by blastoise
Tags: functions, inverse, null
Share this thread:
blastoise
Apr18-12, 07:10 PM
P: 22
Ok,

I understand an inverse function sends a variable in the range to the corresponding value in the domain, but am not sure if what I'm thinking is correct... : For example:

Let A be the set

[itex] A = \{1,2,3,7,8\} ; B = \{4,5,6\} [/itex] and the function [itex] f [/itex] map A to B s.t

f(1) = 4
f(2) = 5
f(3) = 6

so 7,8 do not have a value that is mapped one to one.

I understand f is an surjection, but not a injection . But, does an inverse function exist?

I would say yes, despite there not being a value in B that maps to 7 or 8.
Is my thinking correct?

Also, am I correct to say that a function does not have to use every element in the domain in order to have an inverse; I am confused because wouldn't one just say it maps to the null set and the inverse of the null set would contain values(7,8) that it maps to and hence not a function...?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
DonAntonio
Apr18-12, 09:08 PM
P: 606
Quote Quote by blastoise View Post
Ok,

I understand an inverse function sends a variable in the range to the corresponding value in the domain, but am not sure if what I'm thinking is correct... : For example:

Let A be the set

[itex] A = \{1,2,3,7,8\} ; B = \{4,5,6\} [/itex] and the function [itex] f [/itex] map A to B s.t

f(1) = 4
f(2) = 5
f(3) = 6

so 7,8 do not have a value that is mapped one to one.

*** ...and thus f is NOT a function from A to B but one from a proper subset of A to B...***

I understand f is an surjection, but not a injection . But, does an inverse function exist?

*** Yes, if we look at f defined from {1,2,3} onto {4,5,6}. ***

I would say yes, despite there not being a value in B that maps to 7 or 8.
Is my thinking correct?

Also, am I correct to say that a function does not have to use every element in the domain in order to have an inverse; I am confused because wouldn't one just say it maps to the null set and the inverse of the null set would contain values(7,8) that it maps to and hence not a function...?

If we talk of a function [itex]f: A\to B[/itex] , we're explicitly assuming f is defined in the whole of A. Whether f is 1-1 and/or onto is another matter.

DonAntonio

Register to reply