Why are there two Stefan Boltzmann Laws in Reif's book?

In summary, Reif's book Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics contains two formulas known as the Stefan-Boltzmann Law. Both formulas involve T^4, but differ in their constant values. The first formula, on page 376, is (pi^2/15)*(kT)^4/(c*hbar)^3, while the second formula, on page 388, is (pi^2/60)*(kT)^4/(c^2*hbar)^3. The second formula is c/4 times the first. Upon careful examination, it appears that the two formulas are not the same, as one refers to the intensity of emitted radiation and the other to the energy density of radiation, with a difference of
PatF
In Reif's book Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics, he labels two formulas as the Stefan-Boltzmann Law. They are both involve T^4 but the constant is different. In one, on page 376, the law is given as (pi2/15)*(kT)4/(c*hbar)3.

The other, on page 388, is (pi2/60)*(kT)4/(c2*hbar3).

The second formula is c/4 times the first.

I have looked carefully through the text and I can't see why there should be a difference. What have I overlooked?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks much! I just checked and I think you are right.

1. What are the Two Stefan Boltzmann Laws?

The Two Stefan Boltzmann Laws are fundamental principles in thermodynamics that describe the relationship between the temperature of an object and its emitted radiation. The first law states that the total energy emitted by a black body is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. The second law states that the energy flux emitted by a black body is proportional to the difference between the fourth powers of its absolute temperature and the ambient temperature.

2. How are the Two Stefan Boltzmann Laws derived?

The Two Stefan Boltzmann Laws were derived by Austrian physicist Josef Stefan in 1879 and by Austrian physicist Ludwig Boltzmann in 1884. They used theoretical and experimental methods to investigate the relationship between temperature and radiation emitted by black bodies.

3. What is a black body?

A black body is an object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it, without reflecting or transmitting any. It also emits radiation at a rate that is determined only by its temperature and surface area. This makes it a useful theoretical model for understanding the behavior of real objects.

4. Do the Two Stefan Boltzmann Laws apply to all objects?

No, the Two Stefan Boltzmann Laws only apply to ideal black bodies. Real objects do not perfectly absorb or emit radiation like a black body, so their behavior may deviate from these laws. However, the laws can still be useful for approximating the behavior of real objects.

5. What are the practical applications of the Two Stefan Boltzmann Laws?

The Two Stefan Boltzmann Laws have many practical applications in fields such as astrophysics, climate science, and engineering. They can be used to calculate the energy output of stars, the amount of heat radiated from the Earth's surface, and the efficiency of thermal radiation in engineering systems such as solar panels and heat engines.