Register to reply

Measuring metallurgical composition of melt in furnace

by metalplastic
Tags: composition, furnace, measuring, melt, metallurgical
Share this thread:
Apr27-12, 02:38 AM
P: 5
When mixing special grades of alloys, or even in commercial production of common alloys, furnaces are often used where metals or additives are added and mixed, then samples taken at the core and characterized, then adjustments are made by adding additives until the desired composition is achieved.

What is the common way and procedure that metallurgists use to measure the chemical composition of the mixture during production?

Do they cool down the sample immediately by say quenching and run it through an ICP-mass spec (I dont think steel mills are this sophisticated)? How is it normally done?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
3-D printing leads to another advance in make-it-yourself lab equipment
Nanoscience makes your wine better
May2-12, 03:07 AM
P: 5

Alternatives like XPS? etc? Anyone know how it is normally done?
May3-12, 09:21 PM
P: 1
Several steelmakers use LIBS (laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy) to monitor melt compositions.

Register to reply

Related Discussions
Career option as Metallurgical engineering Career Guidance 0
Marters in electrical engineering for metallurgical engineers Electrical Engineering 2
Metallurgical thermodynamics Materials & Chemical Engineering 1
Hi friends!.. about metallurgical & materials engineering General Discussion 3