How does bulk size impact the stability of a product during transit?

Makeup Chemist
I have 2 bulks of emulsion (lotion, cream, yoghurt, sauce): 1kg and 0.030g. While in transit (plane and truck) the bigger bulk separated (oil pooled on top) and the smaller one stayed as is, with no changes to the appearance of the product.

In general, larger volumes of emulsion are more prone to instability and I understand the reason, but need some help in explaining it for a report. Something like stronger forces applied to the larger bulk and caused more stress, thus led to more strain?

Or do you think that in smaller volumes, the ratio of surface area to volume is higher?
Overall, what good engineering/physics explanation can anyone suggest here?

Thanks!

Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
Temperature/thermal effects are usually(?) the culprits in "breaking" emulsions; smaller packages may be better insulated/more fluffily packed; less room to establish gradients. YMMV

Likes Astronuc
Thank you, I can definitely add that aspect and elaborate more as I am familiar with it.
But I would like to know more about the impact of the shaking during transit as that part is more unfamiliar to me.

A lot may depend on the type of container: If it transfers vibration, especially resonant vibration, to contents, the frequency etc may induce separation / segregation rather than better dispersal...

Cue the old story of why eg Cornflakes and Muesli settle out faster in larger, 'Family Sized' packs...

You may need to cushion afflicted IBC with compliant mat / vibration isolators. IIRC, there are 'vanes' which may be fitted as internal dampers. Sorry, not my scene...

Likes Astronuc

1. How does the bulk size of a product affect its physical stability during transit?

The bulk size of a product can significantly impact its physical stability during transit. Larger bulk sizes often mean that the product has less room to move within its packaging, which can reduce the risk of damage caused by shifting or collisions. However, if not properly secured, larger bulk sizes can also lead to increased stress on the packaging materials, potentially causing them to fail. Proper cushioning and securement are essential to mitigate these risks.

2. Does increasing the bulk size of products reduce transportation costs?

Increasing the bulk size of products can potentially reduce transportation costs by maximizing the efficiency of space utilization in shipping containers or vehicles. This allows more products to be transported simultaneously, reducing the number of trips required and thus lowering fuel and labor costs. However, it's important to balance this with the increased risk of damage if the products are not properly secured or if the increased weight exceeds the handling capabilities of the shipping infrastructure.

3. Are there specific types of products that are more sensitive to bulk size changes during transit?

Yes, certain types of products are more sensitive to changes in bulk size during transit. Fragile items, liquids, electronics, and perishable goods, in particular, require careful consideration of bulk size and packaging. These products may need additional padding, climate control, or securement to ensure their stability and integrity during transportation. Failing to account for these needs can lead to higher rates of damage and financial loss.

4. How does bulk size impact the choice of transportation mode?

The size and weight of bulk shipments can directly influence the choice of transportation mode. For larger and heavier shipments, rail or sea freight might be more suitable due to their ability to handle larger volumes and weights at a lower cost compared to air or road transport. However, these modes also tend to be slower, which may not be suitable for time-sensitive shipments. Thus, the decision often involves a trade-off between cost, speed, and the physical characteristics of the bulk product.

5. What are the best practices for ensuring product stability in large bulk sizes during transit?

Best practices for ensuring product stability in large bulk sizes during transit include using sturdy, high-quality packaging materials that can withstand the weight and pressure of larger loads. Additionally, products should be evenly distributed within the container to avoid uneven weight distribution that can lead to tipping or collapse. Securement devices such as straps, braces, or anchors are also crucial to prevent movement within the container. Regularly inspecting and maintaining transportation equipment to ensure it can safely handle large bulk sizes is equally important.

Back